ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Smooth Coated Otter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Smooth Coated Otter

Parambikulam seems to have a good population of smooth coated otters last May I spent 3 days there and had 5 different sightings. They can be distinguished from common or Eurasian otters by colour / texture of the fur, the shape of the snout although this can be quite difficult on the field. This was right in front of the guesthouse where I was put up. It completely missed me as I was inside a clump of bamboo and kept staring at my brother who was standing on the driveway. Then it let out an alarm and vanished into the water only to surface on the other bank with three more.

500D, 55-250, 250mm, Ae, f5.6, ISO 1600, 1/80, Shot early in the morning in poor light conditions.

Rgds
    Roopak
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice behaviour captured. They look cute when they stand up with curiosity. A low angle shot would've been better I feel.
    Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice to see the Smooth Indian Otter. Very nice pose. The sleek, smooth coat well documented. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S:India has another species called Clawless Otter (Aonyx cinerea) found in the Sundarbans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow nice inquisitive pose captured. The vertical composition looks good. Quite difficult to capture this shy species. Good to know that there a quite good number of otters in Parambikulam. Were you staying in the forest guest house? Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The pose is lovely. Light seems to be bad. Good to know that you had many sightings. Not sure how many species to cover, where all to go. Only have one life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Smile

You have captured a very shy and fast moving animal in natural breaching action.I like the ripple effect created in the water. Where in Parambikulam did you stay?What animals and birds did you see?We are planning a visit. Any suggestions?.TFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks all for comments.. I was staying at the Fd guest house and it is difficult to get this one for civilians as it is usually reserved for the Fd staff.

Shyamala : parambikulam is best in summer. Nov onward shd be good as well. Sightings were decent last time a leopard , Dholes, and lots of Elephant and Gaur. It is a good place to catch the Niligiri langur, Grey headed/ Lesser Fish eagle . There are good places to stay which you can book online. Vettikunnu Island guest house, Thillikal Bungalow are good as far as wildlife sightings and location is concerned… but these places are sort of basic as far as facilities go..if you are going with family need to be prepared for that.

You have other options suitable for families as well and you can book online / thru phone. The imp thing is that they have a standard routine ...safari in a van, Visit to Kanimara teak tree , Boat ride at parambikulam etc these are typical tourist fare. If you go in your own vehicle you will be accompanied by a Guide and driving inside the reserve in morning and evening on all routes where it is permitted is the best bet for sightings. The other option is to trek, there are some good trek routes, I usually go to parambikulam (or any other reserve) for the treks.
    Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks Roopak for the information.The place sounds attractive and definitely worth a few visits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread Information