ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Showstopper!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Showstopper!

Thanks to that morning's amazing experience with a Leopard and having known a little bit of this particular individual's movement patterns, I set off into the jungle for the afternoon safari with high hopes. Right after we entered the forest, I suggested we drive to the area I hoped the Leopard would have moved to and as I expected there was predator movement in the area indicated by strong calls of alarm from Spotted deer. However, we failed to catch even a glimpse of the cat. We decided to leave the place and come back after a while. It was after over a hour that we found ourselves back on the same road when dear friend and photographer Praveen Siddannavar whispered "Leopard". There he was, on the road, scent marking his territory. We halted at quite a distance away as we didn't intend to startle him by going too close. He walked toward us, drank water from a small puddle of water that was left behind on the road as a memory of previous night's downpour, and then again walked straight to us.

The sighting is what I called "team work"- me having a strong intuition that this area was the place to be that evening, Chandrashekar Kalyanasundaram and Ram Shankar being the first ones to hear the warning calls thereby helping confirm the presence of a predator in the area and then Praveen Siddannnavar being the guy to spot it when we came back on that road later on. One has great sightings, but this one was special in the fact that it was great even from the photography perspective. The Leopard was bold enough to stay put on his path and allowed us to witness all types of territory marking- spray marking, clawing trees and digging up the earth, images of which I will try to share soon.

Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 300 f/2.8 L IS II USM + 1.4x extender III | f/4, ISO 1600, 1/320 sec, EC -1/3, evaluative metering | Kabini, Karnataka | October 2013.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice pose. I am happy to see the black spots of the leopard in the front view.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HEAD ON with leopard.......yet to shoot some of such pictures yet. Great eye contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed a show stopper Bhargava, top shot. The low angle is mesmerizing and the details are awesome. Is this a crop or a full frame?
    Thanks for sharing

regards
    Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice image. like the head on walking pose. looks a bit over sharpened.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely pose and eye contact. The low angle enhances the composition. Agree with Roopak, there seems to be some noise in the background maybe due to cropping and sharpening. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear All, thank you.

This image is about a 10% crop. I believe the noise in the BG is more because of the high ISO (by 7D standards) than because of cropping.
    Last edited by Bhargava Srivari; 26-10-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Love this pose. Tough situation with the light. In Kabini during winter months the light levels are pretty low and throws a massive challenge. Even 1/320 is slow for this head on shot. How long this sighting lasted?

Thread Information