ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Jungle Cat (Kelaarti)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Jungle Cat (Kelaarti)

Felis chaus kelaarti the southern sub species.

This is one of the largest jungle cats I have seen and was almost the size of a street dog. They are common in the country side although mostly nocturnal and sightings will be fleeting. One of the colloquial names of the Jungle cat in malayalam in North Malabar is Naya-kallan (translates to ‘dog thief’). Although it is doubtful if a jungle cat will attack an adult dog they are very likely to predate on pups and sub adults. Many of the older generation whom I checked with confirm this.

An interesting dimension which I came across on the net which affects the size of animals within the same genus across geographic locations is supposed to be competition from other species of the same genus –Intraspecific competition. The presence of a variety of small felids can also affect the size of jungle cats as compared to those in a geographically different location where such variety is lower or absent. The article in the below link gives a detailed description of the ecology of this common but shy and enigmatic predator.

http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/spec...ia-jungle-cat/

500D, 55-250, 250mm, AE, f5.6, ISO 400, SS 1/80 Cropped image. Shot late in the evening in low light. C&C welcome

Rgds
    Roopak
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice sighting. Can you just mention the date and place, so that it serves as a record.

Good to know that in Malaylam they call the jungle cat as Naya-kallan meaning dog-thief. I am told that in Uttarakhand area they call it kukur baggha which literally translates to dog tiger, and this name is because they say that small dogs are lifted by these cats. In Srilanka they are known to even predate on goats. They are known to kill cheetal fawns also. So one should not doubt their capability of killing dogs. I would love to see this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting sighting of a shy predator.Like the pose and eye contact.The write up is also very informative .Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice and rare sighting of the sub-species of Jungle Cat. Large specimen. Nice write up.

I have vivid recollection that during my childhood a Jungle Cat once attacked a few days old calf and cut off one of its ears. Near the riverbed of Damodar and adjoining villages Jungle Cat called as 'Bon Biral' was often found and it used to live on hare, bird, duck etc. The term 'Bagh' is associated with Fishing Cat called as 'Baghrol' in Howrah district which were more common in the delta. During 50's and 60's villagers generally used to call both as 'Baghrol' till next generation started establishing ID.
    After seriously reading Shri Sabyasachi, I was thinking why 'Bagh' is one unifying factor for our great country.
    Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 19-11-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice image Roopak. You seem to have caught it at the right time.. though it seems disinterested I am sure for you it was more than just interesting. Colloquial information always helps and thanks all for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rather uncommon to get one sitting and looking right into the lens . Nice!
    Many of the small felids are known to make audacious attacks on relatively large prey. I won't be surprised if jungle cats do occasionally attack adult dogs, or if there are isolated incidents of the same. The fishing cat, which is about a foot longer, has been known to regularly take dogs and has even been known to have killed a female leopard in captivity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks all for comments.

Patra sab :This was at my native village Arrikulam on calicut outskirts on 11-03-2012. Like me I think it was also waiting for some Red spurfowl to come out of the undergrowth. It was perfectly camouflaged in the dry grass to the left. I saw it after it moved and came into the clearing. Did wait for sometime just to enjoy the sighting and also see if the spurfowl will come out which didn't happen, would been fantastic to see it stalk them.... It saw me when I started clicking and disappeared as quickly.

Shakti da and Abhishek : Thanks for some interesting info on the fishing cat, that is a species I would die to get a glimpse of. Infact the local name of the fishing cat here is Kuri-Nari (Dwarf -Tiger).

What a great unifying factor it is...

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely sighting. It amazes me how much is around us, this planet has given us so many wonderful things, yet so few appreciate it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice and interesting write up.Good pic of a rare animal.Its astonishing to know that this animal is of the size of an adult dog!(or some what closer).....Roopakji Kurunari may alo mean small jackal as well I think.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks shankar sab, the term Nari in North kerala means Tiger (Kaduva is used more widely) and as far as I know is not used for Jackal in malayalam. I understand it means Jackal in tamil. Confusing ...

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Roopakji you are right...Nari means Jackal in Tamil for sure.But a search for Nari in an online "Malayalam-English" dictionary gives both Jackal,flying fox and tiger as the meaning for Nari.......But interestingly no meaning for Kuru Nari in both Mal-Eng and Tamil-Eng dics.....

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nari means woman in Sanskrit/Hindi/Odiya...

and it also means Jackal in tamil, Tiger in North Kerala. So thinking of a hilarious situation when a north Indian fellow (with little knowledge of english) meets a tamilian and a(north) malaylee.

Unfortunately these days we hardly speak in vernacular languages. I wonder if we ourselves know the names of all the birds and animal species in vernacular languages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Shaktipadaji,
    Though we say that Tiger is getting all the attention and not other animals, in various cultures Tiger has a position which no other animal has, except perhaps the elephant and to some extent the lion. In our childhood days, I remember our maid refusing to utter the word "bagha" saying that if she utters the name of the tiger than the tiger will come. Apart from fear, tiger was also held in awe due to its power and grace. The Tiger was found all throughout the country. At one point of time, like the Sun and wind, it was omnipresent and numerous. Fear, hatred, love, God, country are the most common unifying factors. Tiger is a potent combination of all these. We fear the tiger, hate it when it takes our cattle, rever it, admire its beauty and power. Personally I am humbled by its intelligence. Tiger is a mystery. No wonder it is part of our cultural identity.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sabyaji the "a" in Nari is pronounced like the "a" in "an" and not like in "Fan" or Pan".......
    Another aspect is, leave alone North Indian and South Indian,we have to settle North Keralalite and South Keralite!...
    Imagine Roopakji(North Keralaite) and myself(south Keralaite) trekkinng the deep jungles of Wayanad.At one point I shout at Roopakji.... Nari...Nari ....Nari...and Roopakji instead of focussing his camera on the so called "Nari" climbs up a tree and settles there......I take enough pics of the "Jackal" and feels satisfied...
    Another scenario is, at one point Roopakji shouts Shankar Saab Nari...Nari...Nari....(he has already climbed up a tree which I have not noticed!)...I focus my camera on the so called "Nari" and end up "Resting in Pieces!"....
    I request Roopakji to come to a consensus to mean "Nari" as Jackal as it saves lives......Thanks in advance Roopakji.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I know shankar sab Iam yet to fulfil on a promise for an outing in the wayanad jungles.... I can assure you the first 2 parties here (tigers and jackals) usually leave men alone... they have better things to do so no worries on that...

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

The powerful lesser Cat has composed an interesting duet for Roopak Bhai and Sankar Bhai. None of you have any fear for Tiger. Then why not to the Sundarbans and just land at some place away from the watch tower not protected by nylon or wire fencing even at the top. I am sure with your courage we will find you riding the tiger. Or you will rewrite 'Kapalkundala' of Bankim Chandra sitting on sands!
    I have thoroughly enjoyed your writings.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sakti sir I accept the challenge.Its still remaining a dream for me visiting Sunderbans.....Iam sure Roopakji would be a nice companion.....I accept all your suggestion except "riding the tiger".........Only God Ayyappa can do that!...I also found out(by doing some research) about "Kapalkundla"....Its a romantic novel written by Bankim Chandra in 1866!...A forest girl falls in love with a city guy eventually realising she would not be able to adjust with the city life......Sakti sir wants that to re-written!.....I think Roopakji is the right person to do that!.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sundarban is the only place where man remains behind cage and the tiger roams outside. I think on behalf of all tigers of India - who have been abused, laughed at and mocked by insensitive tourists seated in gypsies and buses - the Sundarban tigers have taught us how powerless we are and have managed to confine the tourists to double walled caged resorts. And the Sundarban tigers are relatively smaller in size than the ones found elsewhere in India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roopak sir?nice to meet you here..... nice click....till yet i didnt see a cat like this in arikkulam...you did a great work..

Thread Information