ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Black Panther, a life time sighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Black Panther, a life time sighting

I have been writing on my wildlife experience for a while now, but honestly today I am loss of words, probably dumbstruck. I have been photographing most of the cats in India and abroad that include Tiger, Lion, Leopards, Cheetah and the endangered Jaguars, and of course few others still in my wish list. However a Black Panther was a dream, but I never made an attempt going in search of it, simply because of its elusiveness, shy nature and moreover the records of documenting a black panther in India were just a handful, so all these years I had completely given up on it.
    A 72 hour trip was planned between me, Mohan Thomas and Thomas Vijayan to visit Dandeli Anshi Tiger Reserve, Daneli in Karnataka state. This trip was exclusively to understand, study the habitat and behavior of this cat. So we decided to explore Dandeli, by far highest density of Black Panther in our country. A black panther is typically a melanistic color variant of any of several species of larger cat be it a common leopard or a jaguar.
    Thanks to Mr. Mallesha BB – IFS, Conservator of Forests and Director, DATR for extending his support in educating us to understand the biodiversity forest that is dense and rich in vegetation. It was great to meet him along with the team of forest officials to understand the behavioral pattern and habitat of black panthers. I must thank him for his dedication and contribution towards wildlife protection and conservation of DATR. It will be unfair if I don’t mention Shashidhar Hs Senior Naturalist of JLR Dandeli who spent time with us during this mission.
    We had little time and lots to cover and our moral went down as soon as we learnt from forest guards, officers, naturalists and of course the local people, that there were no regular sightings of black panther within the sanctuary, no photographs in form of documentation, all we heard were glimpse of this cat on few occasions on main road at dust or at night and camera trap pictures that proved the existence of this beautiful cat. After gathering all this information the only thing we concluded and remarked our trip as “Mission Impossible”
    We traveled over 600 kms from Bangalore; Vijayan travelled all the way from Toronto, Canada on this mission. We all agreed to give our best, put in efforts in exploring black panthers; of course we honestly had a little or almost no hope. But the good part was we had the opportunity to learn about this wonderful biodiversity forest and of course make notes on this elusive cat.
    24 hours passed away in a flash that included our road journey all the way from Bangalore to Dandeli, first day was a goner. The 2nd day, we drove out of the sanctuary most part of our day but later in the evening drove into the sanctuary along with Mr.Mallesha CF in his vehicle.

As we were driving on the Kavala road from a distance almost 300-400 mts away I spotted this cat, half body in the open and face covered by a tree trunk, probably she sensed something approaching towards her. I first asked the driver to put off the engine of the jeep, and then whispered… Black Panther over there… Panic, excitement began amongst us including myself despite holding my excitement until I spotted. Time was 5:45pm light fading fast, I saw Vijayan shivering due to excitement but there was no stopping on our shutters, they kept firing blindingly. Mohan was not in a right position but with his experience he managed the situation quite well. Shashidhar the most experienced naturalist seemed over excited and kept pointing towards this beautiful cat and providing live commentary about this cat, so did the driver Shivputra. However our CF was as cool as a cucumber and kept watching and enjoying our excitement and action.
    The Black Panther was very far but seemed comfortable with our presence and she walked out in the open to see what the noise was all about and quickly she realized that she is being watched and instantly hid behind a tree trunk and in few seconds she peeped out to check our presence. This was moment of my life, I just loved making this image and friends believe me this is most amazing, wonderful experience by far. This cat being so elusive and shy was seen to be so gracious and I can easily rate it as the most beautiful creature on our planet.
    Her eyes were glittering like gold, her innocence touched my heart. I could see emotional faces including myself. First Black Panther of our life and we all had every right to be so emotional. A true dream comes true spotting/sighting with excellent team work. This moment will be cherished all our lives., even now I’m unable to get over this sighting, a true dream come not just for us but I am sure for all wildlife lovers. A couple of minutes later another jeep zipped in as it was time to head out of the exit gate, little did the driver know we were happily making images of this black beauty , unfortunately this cat disappeared in a flash the moment this jeep zipped in. Lucky were the guests Mahesh Pendharkar, Mona Patil, Nitin Patil and family in that jeep to have a glimpse of this beautiful cat… No complaints whatsoever about the other jeep there were completely unaware about what was happening at our end.
    In state of shock, excitement and completely lost in this unbelievable or rather incredible sighting, we headed out towards the exit gate as park closed by 6pm.
    God is great! And he had more in store for us, more excitement while were reached the main road heading towards our camp, was another cat on our way? stay tuned to read part 2 of Mission Impossible.

Camera - Canon 5D Mark III, Canon f4 500mm lens
    EXIF - ISO 2000 Av 4 Tv 1/10 sec, EC -0.7, Cropped
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, awesome sighting - truly a once in a life time opportunity. While i can understand your systematic attempts to pursue this elusive cat and the rewards for the same, Imagine the luck of those visitors on the vehicle. They should buy a lottery immediately.

Simply brilliant edge of the seat narration. Move over Tom Cruise, a new one is around the corner. Look forward to the next one Praveen.

regards
    Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Great sighting. We don't often come across black panther. I am very happy that you could sight it.

Wish it was closer. I am sure next time will be better. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing sighting. Truly a lifetime chance :-). Great you got it looking towards you. Were you staying in the JLR at Dandeli? Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Peeping: Portrayal of planning, patience, luck and craft. Mission accomplished. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

what the ... praveen you are truly blessed my friend. Iam so happy for you. an experience like this is beyond words. Go to the Himalayas next, you know for what....

Thanks for sharing this
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Mission Impossible 5:Black Panther Protocol"......Nice to see the black panther.Good narration as well.I hope you have a real close-up shot.....

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hi Praveen, this is a great news for the whole wildlife community. this is one of those dreams which may remain a dream for most of us, and the list of such dreams is just growing by day. Once I was reading memoirs of a person who grew up in Banjara hills area in Hyderabad around 1950s, he narrated how his father, while on a hunting trip, encountered three black panthers on the shore of Gandipet lake. there was a photo of the child with one of panther dead at his feet. Alas, only if these people knew what they were snatching away from the future generations.
    Regards;
    Subhash Shrivastava;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful

Loved the experience, image and also the narration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is simply brilliant! Awesome sighting, and getting a reasonably sharp image is a jackpot! The image aptly portrays the nature of this elusive animal. Very nicely written as well.
    Dandeli-Anshi never fails to amaze... it is easily among my 3 most favourite forests in the country. You have had extremely good fortune with big cats all along, I agree with Roopak on the next suggested destination.

TFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely picture and great sighting of the elusive panther. Eager to know what happened next..part 2!!! I have heard of black panther sightings in Dandeli from more than one person. I would still say its perseverance and luck that can assure one of such sightings. I agree with Roopak, you should add the snow leopard in your list, which I am sure you would have planned of .Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for viewing, liking and the wonderful comments coming straight from your heart. Getting closer to this cat was not an option, since they extremely shy and I was lucky to make few images only because I advised the driver to maintain a good distance.

Thread Information