Thread: Odisha plans webcasting mass nesting of Olive Ridley Turtles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Odisha plans webcasting mass nesting of Olive Ridley Turtles

Odisha plans webcasting mass nesting of Olive Ridley Turtles
    PTI | Dec 6, 2013, 01.12 PM IST

BHUBANESWAR: The Odisha government is exploring possibilities of webcasting the annual event of the mass nesting of Olive Ridley Turtle in the Odisha coast.

"It is expected that webcasting of this rare scene of the nature will bring world wide reckon to Odisha as Olive Ridley is a pride possession of Odisha", a senior official said after a review meeting presided over by chief secretary J K Mohapatra on Friday.

"The mass nesting scenes are ethical and aesthetic in the perspective of wild life protection and promotion of ecotourism," he said.

Odisha houses 50 per cent of total world population of the Ridley and about 90 per cent of the Indian population of sea turtles.

With sea turtles beginning to reach the state's coast for mass nesting, the state government has taken a series of steps for protection and conservation of the rare animal.

Reviewing the progress, Mohapatra directed officials to involve local communities, community based organizations and NGOs in the conservation and protection activities.

"It was decided in the meeting that regulated eco-tourism activities would be permitted during the nesting season at selected sites," they said.

Keeping in view safety of the visiting turtles, the state government has already imposed ban on fishing within 5 km from the coast by mechanised boats or trawlers.

As a result of protective measures, the number of mass nesting of Olive Ridley turtles in Odisha coast has increased constantly over the years from 35,000 in 2001-02 to 4,65,000 in 2005-06, 5,13,000 in 2009-10, 6,94,000 in 2012-13.

The year 2010-11 recorded a sudden rise of nesting to the level of 7,24.000.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Good news. I am, however, little sceptical about proposal for 'regulated eco-tourism'. The induction of Coast Guard, as stated in another article possibly instils a bit more sense of comfort into my mind. In any case, that the State has given due importance to the safety of the turtles is a welcome feature. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Thread Information