ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: The Bor Wild life Sanctuary-The gem of Wardha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default The Bor Wild life Sanctuary-The gem of Wardha

It is 120 sqkm of densely forested region situated about 70km south west of Nagpur.From Nagpur one takes the NH7 upto ButiBori ,then MSH3 on the Wardha route to Seloo, then north to Hingni where Bor is located.The only options for staying are the forest guest rooms which may be booked online on the MTDC site.The accommodation and food is very basic and no hot water was supplied to us in the month of nov.Hospitality and friendliness was more conspicuous by absence.
    That aside the biodiversity of the place is impressive.Besides the Bor reservoir there are streams, rivers ,pebbled beds, teak forests ,bamboo thickets, lush plateaus, hills and hillocks.The safari trail is only 20km which is very short compared to others in MaharashtraYou are allowed to take your vehicle inside though gypsies are available for hire. Bor boasts a diversity of flora fauna-12 tigers leopards ,bears,wilddogs,sambhar nilgais wildboars, pangolins innumerable species of birds and reptiles.
    It performs the role of a satellite wls for the much large Pench and is proclaimed to be a breeding ground for tigers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default The lush plateaus

The colours are vibrant and the contrasts boggles the imagination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default The tulsi picker of BOR Wls

There were different species of parakeets gorging on wild tulsi and the air resounded with the calls of innumerable birds.Our trip was all in all a fascinating tryst with nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default The Crested serpent Eagle in BOR

He sat perched on a tree rising from the river below practically level with the road.It was a fascinating clicking him practically on level with our vehicle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default A Lone Peacock

Quenching its thirst at the shady pools

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default There was a profusion of Sambhar and Nilgai

Towards the end of the day final quenching of thirst before retiring to the fields for the night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

very nice shyamala. The images add to the narrative. Seems like a small quiet place where you need to spend sometime for the place to sink in and to reveal its true beauty. I have always had a special liking for the smaller reserves and PA 's. For one thing they are usually quieter and sans the maddening crowd. The sightings are always special but as you say it usually comes without the comforts of the posh lodges which is fine with me. Would like some more info on the general health of the reserve, conservation history, any specific conservations efforts, involvement of the local tribes, bird life, treks if any. A pic of the forest lodge and its surroundings will be great.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Roopak, I did not take any photographs of the forest acco.They have I think 3 cottages and 8 tents available for booking.These are surrounded by trees and gardens which are quite well maintained. The air resounds with the call of birds.There is a canteen run by the village mahilla sangh which provdes homely food on order.The tents were under renovation but they were still available under online booking(I don't know how).

When we were there we saw MTDC Loghuts across the reservoir .These I think would be a better option to the forest acco.But we have still not been able to figure out how to go about reserving them.Probably on ground booking from Nagpur offices must be the only option.MTDC offers online booking for the forest dept. but not its own-surprising!

I don't think trekking is allowed but one could spend hours in the buffer zone in which surrounds the forest acco.It seems to be the regular beat of two tigers especially during" Dhoopkaal"(local terminology for summer).There have been more frequent attacks on villagers during the recent year.Anger against the tiger has escalated due to delays and inadequate compensation paid for loss of cattle to depredations by the increasing tiger population.The recent years have seen the birth of six cubs.I think there may be a corridor of tiger movement between Pench and Bor.The general impression I got was that Bor is generally the private preserve of the forest dept, the" lal batti "officialdom and polticians who use it as a convenient getaway from Nagpur.We saw entourages of 'Lal battis" moving towards the Mtdc location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice to read about Bor wildlife sanctuary. Trekking is a good way to connect with the forest. Unfortunately, not many people know that it is allowed.

I am fine if the forest rest houses provide basic accommodation and not provide all the creature comforts that one gets in a big city. Else, we would be increasing the environmental footprint. If someone can't stay without AC, TV etc then he should't be in a jungle. Those kind of tourists can stay in the buffer areas in resorts. If the forest rest house can be close to large trees than the shade would provide the cool on a sunny day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with Sabyasachi. Sometimes I feel these smaller protected areas should not be discussed much as it brings in millions of tourists, their demands for resorts with pools, loud birthday, vehicles etc. these finally start taking a toll on the peace and quite of the area.

Have we studied the impact of constant human visits to the forests, on its wildlife and its natural breeding cycles?

Thread Information