ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Courting Leopards Behavior/Kabini

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Courting Leopards Behavior/Kabini

Leopards (Panthera Pardus) are agile and stealthy predators. They are the best tree climbers in the big cat family. They spend a lot of time on the trees relaxing, sleeping and we have records of leopards mating on a tree as well. During my recent trip to Kabini I came across a courting couple so I thought of sharing some behavioral habits of “Courting Leopards”. The image posted is that of the male leopard, this sighting was by no means easy and it took us over an hour to finally track down this elusive cat that was seen relaxing in highly dense teak plantation. Initially the confusion arise as this couple were at two different locations, alarm calls went on all over the forest, by spotted deers and langurs, believe me these calls are still echoing. However it was amazing to observe the communication and the signals sent by this dominant male to call out the female to join him on this nice diagonal tree branch.
    Leopards are promiscuous, as both males and females have multiple mates. Females attract potential mates by excreting pheromones in their urine. Females initiate mating by walking back and forth in front of a male and brushing up against him or swatting him with her tail. The male then mounts the female while frequently biting her nape. Copulation last an average of 3 seconds with 6 minute intervals between each copulation session. A single mating pair may copulate up to 100 times per day for several days, during which time they even share food.
    The reproductive season is year-round but peaks during the winters and even rainy season. Females are in estrus for 7 days and have a 46 day long cycle. Gestation last 96 days and females usually give birth once every 15 to 24 months. The average for male to be matured and ready for mating is 2 years while for female it is 2.5 years. Typically, females stop reproducing at around 8-9 years old.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon f4 500mm lens + 1.4x TC
    EXIF - ISO 400 Av 5.6 Tv 1/640 sec EC -0.7 Focal length 700mm, Cropped
    Location - Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Nagarahole, Kabini.
    14th January 2014
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely sighting. Nice light on the face. I liked the pose and the eye contact. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice environmental composition. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful image and lovely light on face..... TFS