contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Male)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Male)

I photographed this Asian Paradise-flycatcher at JLR’s Old Magazine House (Ganeshgudi), as most of you may know that there are few water trays placed and a small pond in the camp. And especially in winters it is an amazing sight to see flock of birds in this birding paradise. I have been visiting this place for a while now and I still admire this flycatcher who has such long steamers almost a meter in length. It is amazing to see this bird dive into the small water tray to get wet and then flying back to the perch to preen. These flycatchers love to bathe during dry weather and they visit pools of water several times a day to bather as well as to drink. They plunge-dive several times into the water, each time to return to the perch to preen, this behavior repeats several times and if you wish to see this live there can’t be a better place than the Old Magazine house.
    More info on this species -
    The Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Terpsiphone paradisi) is a medium-sized passerine bird native to Asia. Males have elongated central tail feathers, and in some populations a black and rufous plumage while others has white plumage. Females are short-tailed with rufous wings and a black head. They feed on insects, which they capture in the air often below a densely canopied tree.
    Adult Asian Paradise Flycatchers are 19–22 cm (7.5–8.7 in) long. Their heads are glossy black with a black crown and crest, their black bill round and sturdy, their eyes black. Female are rufous on the back with a greyish throat and under parts. Their wings are 86–92 mm (3.4–3.6 in) long. Young males look very much like females but have a black throat and blue-ringed eyes. As adults they develop up to 24 cm (9.4 in) long tail feathers with two central tail feathers growing up to 30 cm (12 in) long drooping streamers.

Camera - Canon 5D Mark III, Canon f4 500mm lens + 1.4x TC
    EXIF - ISO 1250 Av 5.6 Tv 1/400 sec EC -0.3, Focal length 700mm, Cropped
    Location - JLR's Old Magazine House, Ganeshgudi, Karnataka
    2nd December 2013 @ 8:10am
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Lovely image. Fortunate are those who have seen their fairy-like flight through the woods. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A beautiful bird. The vertical composition works well here with the long tail feathers. Nice colours. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice . good eye contact and well composed.

TFS
    Roopak

Thread Information