ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Crested Serpent Eagle @ Kabini

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crested Serpent Eagle @ Kabini

Visited Kabini last weekend with Gajanan Bhai and stayed at JLR. I was appalled at the proceedings there. It was a page 3 show and nothing lesser. Even the jungle is confined to very few routes. They have now segregated into zone A & B. One has to take routes across zones alternatively. Meaning there is no way you could see a zone in a different safari time unless you are a big group. We could only see Zone A during mornings and Zone B during evenings. No idea what zone B looks like in the morning and Zone A in the evening. Quite pathetic. The routes are also significantly less. The route was familiar every time we went to the jungle. When asked the guide and the driver, they said these are the only routes and there are no other routes. Not to mention the steep price. Overall a disappointing experience, has completely put me off. No intentions of going back there.

Sightings were ok. Saw quite a few birds, Dholes, Bison and Elephant. The jungle was completely silent. Only on our 4th safari did we hear an alarm call for the first time and saw pug marks of the tiger. Didn't spot it though.

Nikon D7000, f/6.3, SS 1/500, ISO 250, 420mm (Nikon 300mm f4+1.4x TC)

ps: Will be in Chennai this weekend and plan to go to Vedanthangal bird sanctuary. Can anyone share current updates on this place?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

At least you got a species that is listed in the same schedule as tiger in the wildlife protection act. It is a pretty powerful raptor and I have seen langur's give alarm calls when a crested serpent eagle landed on a nearby tree.

Rajan should be the right guy to talk about the state of affairs in Vedanthangal. The migratory birds might be leaving by this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice eye contact murugan. looks a bit under exposed, I suppose it is not yet showtime at kabini

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice alert pose. Good eye contact. I have not been to Kabini after the IndiaWilds meet, but surely it is quite costly place and now with the route system, the sightings will be difficult :-(. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Muruganji

Welcome to Chennai. This is the fag end of the birding season and the migrants would have started to leave. By mid march the migrants are all gone. But for now you may still be able to get a glimpse of the last few who would take off anytime now. Try to be there between 3:30 PM and 5:30 PM and that is the best time to spot the birds returning to their roost. Early mornings are nice as well. There is a smaller sanctuary, further down the same road called Karikili bird sanctuary, which is about 10 Kms from the main Vedanthangal sanctuary, which has quite a few resident birds and worth the trip.

Do give me a buzz when you are in Chennai. I may not be able to join you for the sanctuary visit, but your beer is on me :-)

regards
    Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info and warm welcome,Rajanji . Unfortunately I would not be able to go to Vedanthangal due to other commitments.

Thread Information