ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: cobra vs viper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default cobra vs viper

i was sitting near a rice field in my native..after few hrs i saw a snake pass near me,i thot its a rat snake,its move into the rice field..after 5 to 10 minuts i heard some sounds from that rice field..and i saw that its not a rat snake its a giant cobra coming out with a viper in her mouth...it was my first experience,really awesome....here am posting the scene from the beginning...

THE cobra moving into the rice field
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here after a fight coming out with huge viper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i missed lot scene becoz,its was inside the rice field...so here am posting what i got...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

almost finishing meal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am seeing a giant cobra like this in wild at first time in life..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after having the meal...moving away....

i need your commends and support....thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare natural history unfolded in your presence and you have nicely documented the event in natural habitat. The Cobra looks huge. Thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice sequence. Image #2 shows the markings of the Russel's viper. This is routine feeding behaviour for king cobras, but for a Naja sp, I'm sure this is an uncommon record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was very close to me!i missed lot scene becoz it was fighting inside the rice field!!!so I couldn't see that well!!!thanks for the commend!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abhishek sir!!!thanks for your commend!!!its was only five or six feet from me,it was a giant cobra!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is a great record jerin...as abhishek says this not common with the cobra. I have a Feeling this cobra is a resident of the hill above the temple...I have seen a huge specimen in that area many times. Well done and keep waiting and watching you will be able to witness many such fantastic natural history moments unfold in our beautiful little village which even today supports a fantastic array of wildlife.
    Thanks for sharing
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Roopak ji....am seeing first time this much giant black one .....its true, we can find lot more natural things in our village...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

The sighting of Monocled Cobra (Naja kaouthia) in Kerala and its documentation have possibly opened up a new page in Natural History. I may not repeat what I have already written in the '....Reptiles .....' column. The snake's ID, habitat, behaviour are different from those of Common Cobra (Naja Naja). Monocled is found in the East, NE, Gangetic basin of our country but in no book I could find any mention about its presence in Kerala. That makes your finding so historic an event.

Monocled Cobra's assult on and consumption of Russell's Viper are fine achievement but would come second, in my view. Looking at this snake's liking for water, fishes and smaller snakes; most likely with faster speed it had caught the Russell's Viper by head and in the paddy-field it was no match.
    Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SaktiWildi....thanks..agree with you..me too didnt find in any book or anythng saying that presence of Monocled in Kerala..But now we can say that we can see Monocled presence in Kerala too with proof...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Shakti da I feel this is not a monocled cobra.

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have the same doubt as Roopak; in image #3 (although not clearly visible) the marking appears like that of a binocellate cobra. However I don't know how to tell the Naja species apart without a clear view of the back of the hood. Whatever the species, it definitely appears to be a huge Naja ​specimen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abhishek ji and Roopak ,I didn't see the scales of that giant,becoz ther was full of mud so I couldn't walk through,also the snake shows only her front side !!!is ther any other way to find other than it's mark on back side!!!if I saw her agin I'll click ther marks too then we can make sure na ,if it's is monocled or other naja species...Roopak ji and Abhishek ji,thanks for the commnt ....regd jerin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I talk with lot peoples all saying that we can't find the Monocled in Kerala...anyway waiting for her again to come ,,he he...thanks for all for valuable comments and tips...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great record of the cobra devouring a russels viper. I feel its a spectacled cobra. Image 3 & 4 shows the left side of the spectacle and one can notice the feeble connecting white curve going towards the right. Since its not profoundly visible I guess Saktida must have felt its a monocled cobra. Nevertheless a great record and a lovely natural history moment captured. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murugan Anantharaman....thanks for the commend...waiting for to see her again....

Thread Information