contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Bharatpur - How is the water situation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bharatpur - How is the water situation?

Hi,

With the erratic monsoon or rather lack of it, I am wondering if someone has any updates on the water situation in Bharatpur? I was reading an article a few days back where it mentioned that the rain so far was just 90mm opposed to 800mm norm. Article also mentioned that the project to bring water from nearby dams/river is not yet active, which spells doom for the sanctuary.

Reason for asking this is, I am planning to take my annual vacation and can make 3-5 days trip. I was planning for Bharatpur, but I am not sure if it will be advisable. I wanted to see this place in its full glory, hence the question. Any information will be helpful. Also if one can suggest an alternate plan/itinerary (5-7 days) for Gujrat (Gir/Velavdar/Jamnagar/Kutch), I will be really grateful.

Regards,
    Kartik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure, but I have read reports that water will be released to the park. Search around the net, there's ablog or website somewhere that gives details.

Apana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks A. B. Apana. I am looking around but could not find any mentions of the recent conditions, however I am going to try contacting local hotels to see if they have any update.

cheers,
    Kartik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Migratory birds skip sanctuary this winter

Dear All,
    I found this in The Times of India. Sad story.
    Sabyasachi

Migratory birds skip sanctuary this winter
    Palak Nandi, TNN 30 October 2009, 05:13am IST
    JAIPUR: The winged-visitors, that bring much joy to the Keoladeo Ghana National Park (Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary) every year, are forced to skip the
    national park this year. Much like it happened in the rainy season this year, the winter migratory birds have chosen to fly away to nearby wetlands because of an acute water shortage in the park.

Famous for the migratory birds which start arriving in the park in October and usually stay till March, the Bharatpur sanctuary now wears a completely deserted look. Moreover, with no way to solve the water crisis in the near future, the forest authorities reluctantly agree that, "this winter would mean a dry-spell for the park, not just in terms of water but also birds." With no water and no birds, even the tourists are likely to stay away from KNP.

According to experts, while last year had been particularly good for the park, this year has been terrible. Following low rainfall, the water crisis in the park has only deteriorated and the number of bird species which visit the sanctuary this year, has decreased by many folds. The bird sanctuary lies deserted as the winter migratory birds have opted to fly to nearby wetlands in Dholpur and Agra.

"Most bird species gave Bharatpur a complete skip and their arrival was known only after these birds were spotted in nearby wetlands. The wetlands within the 29 sqkm park are completely dry and the water-pumps are of no help. With no alternate source of water, even the authorities are helpless,'' said Rakesh Faujdar, amateur bird enthusiast.

In the winter, tourists throng the the park to see more than 300 species of birds, which arrive from as far away as Siberia and Central Asia. Different spieces of birds, including cranes, pelicans, geese, ducks, eagles, coot snipes, pipites and others flock the park in winters. This year too, common cranes, Chinese coots, bar-headed goose and Brahmi ducks among other birds have reportedly been seen near the park.

"A few of these birds even arrived in the park but just like it happened in monsoon this year, the birds flew away in search of wetlands. There is hardly any hope of any of the migratory birds would be visiting the park this year,'' says Krishna Advocate, hononary wildlife warden. The park had been flocked by hundreds of common cranes from Siberia early this month but all of them flew back because of the shortage of water.

The source article can be found here:
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/5178362.cms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had been there a couple of days ago, very simply, no water and no birds. And no news about this on the internet. Will share a video in a couple of days.

Apana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw the video. The situation does look very bad. So guessing no Tourists to Bharatpur this year .
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is indeed thought provoking... In future things might be worse. Any leads to the causes?
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Thread Information