Thread: Spot billed in flight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spot billed in flight

Spot billed duck in flight, ARAI, Pune
    Sept 2014
    Canon 550D, 70-300mm, Av 5.60, Tv 1/800 sec, ISO 800, Focal length 300mm, Aperture priority.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice flight pose captured. I liked the habitat. I think there there is a slight shake. Where is ARAI? Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agree with Mrudul's comments. Looks like it is a big place. Is it a private land? Waiting at one place may yield some good sightings. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARAI hill or Vetal tekdi..it has many names..it was once a dense forest. The hill is the highest point within the city limits, with an elevation of 2600 ft surrounded by lush greenery. People come everyday for jogging or trekking. I donot know the exact area of the place but its quite huge and home to many birds and animals. Its still in its most natural form though its always surrounded by constant worry for contructing towers. The ARAI (Automotive Research assosiation of India) is situtated on this hill and hence called ARAI tekdi. There is still fight going on between citizens and ARAI where it wants to expand its area n acquire the forest land. I love this place and im visitng here since very long time. In rainy season it looks like another Kabini . There is one old Stone quarry on the hill. In rains the huge quarry area is filled with water and somehow makes it small wetland. Many species of jungle birds are here in and around this quarry.
    Many afforestation programs have been undertaken either by Pune Municipal Corporation or by state forest Department have resulted in growth of many ornamental and exotic species. Also may people from different NGOs attempt in planting various trees and watering them in summer.
    BUT A new road is proposed so as to decrease traffic pressure in Nal Stop Chowk. The road will cut across a nearly two km patch of forest on vetal hill, cutting close to ten thousand fully matured and grown trees. The proposed bypass will bring automobile pollution, noise and congestion into the heart of a green area at the foot and lower ridge of the Vetal hill. This is a catastrophic proposal and will destroy one of the last virgin green areas left in Pune. Several citizen groups and activists have opposed the proposal. Twelve NGOs recently wrote a letter to the PMC opposing the road. A blog and an online petition was promoted to stop the construction of the road. Nagrik Chetana Manch has gone to the Mumbai high Court in a PIL and the HC has stayed the construction of the road.
    i personally do not want any road or building constructions here. This is a real beautiful and peaceful place for so many species of birds ad also trees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew Vetal Tekadi, but didnt know it was called ARAI hill . Good to know there are so many birds coming there. I had heard of the plan of the road passing, its good people are opposing it and HC has put a stay. I hope this place is preserved. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

Thread Information