User Tag List

Thread: Need help and support in fighting hunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need help and support in fighting hunting

Hello India Wilders.

I have been noticing that a huge belt in Maharashtra, from near the Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary to Wada, Jawhar, Khodala has a huge hunting problem. It probably persists in other areas as well, but I haven't been there.

In these areas I have been stunned to find every single villager, repeat, every single villager, carrying catapults in their hands or pockets. (Will post photos from my computer, this was written on my ipad). I have seen village kids scouting trees for whatever bird they can get. I have earlier posted a picture of a village boy proudly standing with a murdered barn owl.

This time in a trip through Chiroti Naka, Kasa, Walwande, Jawhar, I noticed the same catapult and hunting trend. I twice stopped at two different villages and asked the villgers and they said they hunt birds, hares etc. This entire belt is forested, hilly, with many water bodies and cultivation, prime land for birds.

But not a single bird to be seen. In the village of Walwande, I didn't even see crows and bulbuls, common birds near human settlements. This is scary and criminal!

I had written to BNHS and some other friends ip working in conservation (unfortunately in other states).

I think the solution is long term education of villagers to slowly wean them away from hunting, campaigning to make the villagers surrender their catapults and helping them find alternative meat sources (poultry) and rewarding the giving up of hunting.

I have some ideas, but I have never ever worked with the social sector before, and I have very little patience with people. However, if some India Wilders want to join forces, I am willing to come and offer as much help, labour etc as required. I cannot do it alone. Anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree something can and should be done. In the north east, where similar problems prevail, some tribes have been converted to start local ecotourism, which has given them monetary gains whilst ensuring protection of the birds they used to hunt. ( I have given a brief account of this in the intro part of a trip report here-http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?13664-Pakke-Tiger-Reserve-A-Trip-Report. Another example is that of the Amur falcon success story in Nagaland.)
    I am not familiar with that belt. We need to investigate other sustaibable prospects in the locals' interests. It is easier to change people's ideas if they stand to gain something, rather that just setting right a wrong. In my opinion, the first step would be to conduct well-structured, detailed interviews to assess the trends you observed.
    I can help contribute to the questionnaire. I live in Mumbai (when I'm not out on field work), so we could perhaps fix a date to go check this out as a team. Of course anyone interested could cobtribute\join too. Always happy to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Catapult is not treated as a weapon http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/ban-catapult/

Unfortunately getting to change the laws - unless we can bring the so called anti-development angle to it - is not easy.

Educating people will ofcourse always help. It is slow process, but if we can change opinions then it would be good. May be I should also visit those areas for a couple of days to see the things first hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have been working hard to include the catapult but its a tough battle.

The locals can gain via ecotourism, true. I can help with that aspect, the branding/marketing etc.
    I can also try and see if all participating villagers can get some help and training with running Apiaries for additional income generation. I know the guys at Under The Mango Tree...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paramvir Singh View Post
    I can also try and see if all participating villagers can get some help and training with running Apiaries for additional income generation.
    Paramvir ji,
    Do you mean apiaries for treatment and eventual rehab of wild birds? That would additionally require strong support from the FD. It is no doubt a good idea, but one that needs careful thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree with Abhishek, getting the know the ground realities is very important before deciding on what to do and how. But it is critical to rope in the support of some local / nearest conservation based organisation which is into feild activities. If not support from even cultural/ social groups based in the area will come in handy. Local support is critical and will to a great extent help overcome language barriers and suspicion which somtimes results in flawed results to field surveys.

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Excuse me for an error in my previous comment, I meant "aviaries" and not apiaries... Or did i misunderstand you Paramvir ji?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant apiary, whee honey bees are kept. They are a good source of income for rural regions, plus help the Eco system.

Thread Information