contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Stripes and Spots, can we bring it back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stripes and Spots, can we bring it back.

Not many would imagine that a mere 1 and a half hour’s journey from one of the world’s largest growing cities would take someone to the abode of Kenneth Anderson’s Jungles. The first time I stumbled upon a Kenneth Anderson’s book was around 4 years ago and since then I always had an urge to explore the Jungles where Scotchie as called by his friends used to prefer the solitude in the jungles and was at his best. Off Hosur town not too far away from Denkanikotta is the Aiyur Forest Reserve which is home to some of the magnificent animals found in India. This forest used to have a very good population of wild animals but slowly and gradually a lot has been wiped out and if the concerned authorities do not act fast the few remaining denizens of the forest will be gone forever.

Of all the trips I have undertaken to Aiyur I’ve observed a couple of activities that are very frequent and on the rise. The Sami Eri waterhole which is not very far from the Aiyur checkpost is a life source for so many wild animals in Aiyur however the people who go for fishing in the large waterhole keeps at bay the thirst of the wild animals. The number of people who come for fishing is growing day by day and hardly anything has been done to check this keeping in mind the importance of preserving this unique habitat.

Gunshots too are frequently heard echoing the forest and I used to wonder which animal would have met it’s end that day. In all my visits to Aiyur I’ve heard more gunshots than ever and have hardly come across any wild animals not to mention about the rampant grazing that takes place in the heart of the forest. One would scan the forest with strained eyes hoping to see a wild animal on this bend or the other only to find a cow or a buffalo grazing peacefully rest assured that there is absolutely nothing to worry about as there are no predators in these forests.

The forest is also home to the rare Egyptian Vulture which is an Endangered Species and is on a decreasing trend. It nests on ledges on Cliffs, crags and rocky outcrops and there are hardly a few thousand pairs in India still hanging on somehow and probably the day is not far when it’s status will change to the feared Critically Endangered (CR) to the worst status of Extinct in the Wild (EW). The Devarubetta Peak in these forests is home to Egyptian Vultures and this is just one of the many important reasons why the Government should declare or notify this Forest as a Wildlife Sanctuary from it’s present status of a Reserve Forest and along with the up gradation of it’s status the protection will also increase thereby ensuring that the habitat is safe and secure. Kenneth Anderson mentioned about the devastating effects of human pressure on these Forests long ago and every word of it has come true. But probably someday, that miracle day, through the corner of your eyes you might catch a sparkle, a glimpse of the black stripes striding majestically.

Attached is a picture of just one of the few anthropogenic pressures that these forests face everyday.

Regards,
    Siddhartha
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    flickr.com/photos/wildsunny
    "There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in
    which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Siddhartha,
    I had read Kenneth Anderson's book for the first time when I was in class 4th. The vivid descriptions have remain etched in my memory. I clearly remember the Aiyur forest banglow from his stories.

It is unfortunate to hear that guns are still booming in the forest. The forest seems to have given way to agriculture. Would love to see images depicting the various issues of the place. Most of our wilderness places are dying due to lack of documentation.

Let us build up a case for upgrading the status of this place.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KANS is working actively in this area.

Apana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too have heard from some of my friends in KANS, that it is carrying out lot of activities there. I dont have any present updates, but it sure is a critical situation as you have mentioned.

Thanks for the detailed information. Do keep us updated.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KANS is working in co-ordination with the Forest Department to upgrade this Reserve to a WLS status. Notwithstanding the fact that it becomes a duty of every citizen of India to fight for such causes the more we highlight the apathy of the situation the more the authorities will be pressed to accept it. Gibbon WLS which is located in Upper Assam is only around 19.42 sq.km though it is the habitat of seven species of Primates namely Western hoolock gibbon, Hoolock hoolock, Capped langur, Bengal slow loris, Stump-tailed macaque, Northern pig-tailed macaque, Rhesus macaque and Assamese macaque amongst other important mammals like the Tiger, Elephants and so on. There is no doubt that Aiyur might not be as rich as Gibbon WLS however there should not be any reasons why this place should not be protected and preserved to ensure the survival of wildlife. And the fact remains that this forest has a lot of unexplored pockets where surprises might be waiting to be discovered. Spend 24 hours in Aiyur and spend the night over at the guest house and I bet you would across all the signs of destruction of the forest. KANS is working hard with ANCF to ensure that the forest department takes a notice to the seriousness of the situation. Echoing Sabyasachi's words coming up with more such evidences will make up for a strong case.

Regards,
    Siddhartha
    flickr.com/photos/wildsunny
    "There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in
    which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had never heard of ANCF until now:

http://www.asiannature.org/

Apana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What is KANS and ANCF?

Am not too good in abbreviations.

There are various organisations working in various parts of the country. India is a vast country and the threats for our wilderness areas and wildlife are enormous. It needs lot of effort.

A lot of times, an organisation working in a particular area may get stuck. Others, should help them as well as try to find an independent route by circumventing the problem.

Notwithstanding, whether anyone is working in an area or not, each individual should try to do whatever he or she is capable of doing. We often forget that our Constitution says: "It shall be the duty of every citizen of India to protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wildlife, and to have compassion for living creatures".

I hope the citizens of this country take their duties a bit more seriously.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks Apana.
    Got the abbreviation.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)