ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: What we can do if we are witness to hunting / poaching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default What we can do if we are witness to hunting / poaching

Today, while on the far side of Sangareddy lake, I came face to face with a group of @###s hunting BH geese and Shell ducks. As usual there was no other human presence in the sight. They started intimidating me to clear out fast, though feeling very uneasy inside, I managed to stand my ground somehow.
    This interaction has made me very sad, the basic question, what is real terms am I doing for conservation. Is it not that I am happy till I have my access rights to watch and photograph.
    Regards;
    Subhash Shrivastava;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Subhash,
    Did you manage to take pictures of them? I would suggest you share them with the local forest officials. Bird poachers are usually from nearby villages and are not as sophisticated as poachers of bigger game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agree with Bibhav. Evidence will facilitate further efforts from your side. If you have images, you can report the incident to wildlife authorities and possibly also to active non-government conservation groups in the area. Let us know if you need help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Thanks for , Bibhav. I could have taken photos, but it was a face to face, they came out of hideout heading towards me , may be they were watching me for sometime. I thought any move from my side may result into flareup. It was a group of 6 with one leader who spoke English and was drunk. They were hunting with airguns.
    One of them seams to be sober and he stopped for few moments when they started moving away from me. I did give him my persuasions that they should not hunt these guests and that it will be the real prayer to the God (he had a tilak on forehead), blah blah blah. He seams to be listening . that's the only hope i am having.

The question that I am having, is hunting BH geese or Rudy Shellducks prohibited in India. I am thinking of informing it to Forest persons if it is illegal.

This encounter also answered the question why BH geese, Shellducks, Pintails etc are coming to this lake in lesser numbers year after year, (this year there are no Flamingos), though it is still having the most diverse migrant population that I have seen in Telengana / Andhra region.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think reporting to the Forest department is better, as they might take some action and keep some guards in the area. Photographs would have helped as collectively we could have written to the PCCF or to the wildlife warden. I know taking photographs is not always possible, but if you get a chance next time it would definitely provide a strong proof.

It is easy to not do anything saying what can I do, but if each of us take even small steps that will help to converse this fast vanishing wilderness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It is good that you stood your ground. They also have fear within themselves as they don't know who you are. For such situations just keep the number of a senior officer and save it in your phone. It helps to bluff, that you are some bigshot Govt. officer or relative. Just use your presence of mind to get out of those situations unharmed but instilling some doubt in their minds.

Don't point out the camera and click. I often shoot from the hip which they won't notice. Or just turn back and point the camera towards them, and click a few shots. That would help in recording their presence in that area along with birds and serve as evidence.

Immediately after you get out of the area, call up the local FD and inform. Then once you go home, just send your complaint to make it doubly sure and also to put pressure on the FD to act.

Also, let us know the details of the Forest department under whose jurisdiction it falls. As a larger group, we can send a complaint to them as well as to the forest minister, forest secy and the chief secretary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi subhash,
    Most of the birds you mentioned fall under schedule 4 of the wild life protection act and hunting is strictly prohibited with penalties including imprisonment. Having said that water fowl hunting is a very difficult menace to deal with. The problem is 2 fold firstly the FD does not consider it a serious offense if you just write a compliant to them or call and inform and usually there will be no action unless these people are caught red handed. Second many of these areas may be private holdings where forget protection, access itself is a problem. If there is pressure from the Top they might place a guard for a few days in public areas. Multiple complaints from a group will work better.

If you live some where close by you need to get the support of some of the locals, this will work best. See if there is any local self help group (agri/ farmer) based, they will be more sensitive if convinced on the importance of protecting water bodies. If there is school in the area meet the pricipal and try giving a small talk with images / videos on migratory birds in the school. Taking the children to such sites will create a general intrest on the subject to the parents and people living there. Give the news of hunting to the local cable network , manytimes they will do it for money and also lack of any other worthwhile news. This will create some fear and apprehension amongst the hunters and will also serve in creating awareness, the Fd also takes note of such news coverage...You did well by not getting intimated by them. Things will not change overnight, but with a little perseverance they certainly will and what you and I do on this is worth a thousand times more than the personal joy or perceived contribution to conservation that our images bring. Very very important to do what little we can in our own backyards. Keep at it and pls let us know if there is anything we can do.

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dear Bibhav, Abhishek, Mrudul, Sabyasachi and Roopak. Thanks for looking into my post and for sharing your ideas and thoughts.

1) My interactions with the FD people of this area till now (Andhra / Telengana) do not instill any hope in me to reach out to them. In fact, couple of times, when I encountered the so called FD guards or watchmen in forest or wilderness, I had the kind experience which still either angers me or shames me. I have been able to manage the Vagrants, Drunks etc. in the forlorn places better with better aftertaste till now.

2) When I saw the group coming towards me, and I sat down on a dry patch of land looking at them, I had decided that I will talk, while taking care not to get entangled, and try to see if I can make a little impact.

3)Sabya sir, I do carry my office ID card and it has been helpful, specially it erodes the initial belligerence and helps me in snatching the initiative. Both with the FD guys and the other intruders.

Sabya sir;
    The area falls under the jurisdiction of DFO, Medak and FRO Manjeera, Sagareddy (source http://forests.telangana.gov.in/) . Till about 2 years back there was a big board by forest department with all kinds of birds painted on it and some orders in Telugu. There used to be a guard also but from Irrigation department, If I remember correctly. All this have been removed in summer of 2012 and temple construction started in full spring all around the lake. The place is communal hotbed, speaking relatively.

I could not take photographs as the attention of the whole bunch was on my camera since beginning, they wanted to check it's reach and try it. I had to use a lot of crap that we learn in management to keep them from touching it.

With Regards;
    Subhash

Thread Information