User Tag List

Thread: Teleconverter for Canon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Teleconverter for Canon

Hi

I have a Canon 550d and EF 70-300mm lens. If i have to buy Teleconverter which one should i buy??How is Canon Extender EF 1.4x iii or EF 2x iii?i am no expert in this. So i need some help.
    Thanks

Manasi Chaphalkar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Canon TCs are not 'officially' compatible with the EF 70-300. There are people who tweak the equipment to make this combination work, but Canon does not recommend it. In any case, using TCs (Canon or other) with this lens would cause a drop in optical quality and AF capability.
    If it's birds you want to shoot, it might be time to look for a longer lens. For other subjects, the 70-300 reaches sufficiently far out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second Abhishek's view on the TC for the 70-300. I still have this lens and as such, the lens is soft at its outer end (around 300mm). I have experimented using a 1.4 X with this lens (by taping the first 3 pins of the 11 pins to fool the body) and found the image to be poor. So, i would suggest that you do not waste your money on the TC for this lens.

regards
    Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tele converters works well with Prime lenses only, I tried 2x with my 100-400 which is very sharp on its own. The result as mentioned in earlier posts is that the IQ degrades. So if you are for birding 400 5.6 prime would be your go to lens, if you can extend budget then there are many more options as well.

Wish you the very best
    Krishnadas N Mallya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Teleconverters do work well with some zooms. For example the EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM lens takes TCs well, including the 2x TC of Canon and I am very happy with the quality.

The 2x TC doesn't go well with most of the lenses. Among the long tele lenses, it works well with the 400 2.8 IS lens. However, without the TC, the quality is something special.

With the 100-400 lens, attaching a 1.4x lowers the quality a bit, but can be acceptable in some situations given how handy it is. 2x is obviously not good with the 100-400.

Thread Information