User Tag List

Thread: Elephant Electrocuted - Masinagudi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Elephant Electrocuted - Masinagudi

Horrible news from Masinagudi.

This one is just across my friend's farm house.

As the story goes, this Male (about 25 years) was frequenting the area around Mavanallah village, eating up gardens of farm homes. Apparently, the guy who is now arrested, lives down the road in another village bordering the forests. He connected a live wire from his mains onto the fence, which took out this magnificent animal.

Hope the law deals with this severely which would be a deterrent for others.

regards
    Rajan

http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/25...ilgiris-643989
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Unfortunately these killings are continuing at a regular frequency. After the initial arrest, the noise dies down and person goes free. Wonder how they get bail. The farmer or landowner where an animal is electrocuted should be prosecuted. The elephants are a major threat to the unrestrained land grabbing going on. There has been lot of resistance to the elephant corridor from the local estate owners as well as from one "eminent" elephant researcher who owns land in the corridor. Unfortunately with each passing day, the threat to the elephants and our wilderness areas keep increasing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree with patra sab. Nothing much is going to happen. Compared to the hue and cry created by the FD and the media when a tourist was killed last year there is hardly anything being done about fencing of private properties and live wiring them which is the biggest challenge to the elephant corridors and wildlife in the niligiris. Inspite of all the focus and litigation on this issue nothing concrete has emerged in so man.y years.Every time i go there there is some need resort or concrete structure coming up in lands which were wild and frequented and animals. The first thing these developers do is to fence the property.
    Tfs
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

We need to accept the ugly fact that we are part of a society that is highly self-serving to start with and is becoming increasingly more so. All around us people are highly concerned (touchy) about the images of plants and animals and at the same time they will go on damaging the living plants and animals in the most nonchalant attitude. As if the God we pray is deaf and blind and we can make him / her happy by the way of chanting or bribing, and we can continue with the non-stop damage to the God's beautiful creatures.

Thread Information