contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Can you ID the bird on the right???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can you ID the bird on the right???

Canon 5D M3 - 70-200/2.8
    ISO 200 / 170mm / 5.6 / 1/400S
    Dec 2014
    Muthukkadu, near Chennai
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Great white pelican Pelecanus onocrotalus on the right. (Spot billed P. philippensis on the left.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Abishek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to IndiaWilds..!!

Nice first post. Wish both the birds were going in the same direction. That would have enhanced the composition further. The whites seem to be slightly overexposed, specially on the bird in the right. You can try to recover the details in post processing. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments Mrudul. I do not post process my generic photographs as I belong to the Film photographic fraternity!!

Yes I do post processing of my Super Macro and HSP ones as they normally do require it due to paucity of adequate light during the shoots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome to IndiaWilds!

Good to know that you too used to shoot with film. As we used to use the darkroom to develop the film, the computer or lightroom/photoshop/aperture etc is the digital darkroom. Here in IndiaWilds we don't encourage people to make extensive changes to the image like cloning, blurring, adding or removing elements etc. Anything which doesn't change the integrity of the image is ok. So we encourage people to do minimal changes in contrast, white balance, saturation etc.

There is a bit of difference between how film and the sensor. Film is more forgiving on overexposure. However in digital if an image is overexposed the highlights can get blown and lose details which can't be recovered. Similarly in digital, the underexposed part can be pulled up, but there would be more noise. Film is less forgiving if we underexpose.

Several years ago, I had gone to Muthukadu to click and found that someone had come and poached the birds. So there were absolutely no birds. So good to see these pelicans from that area. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the detailed explanation on the differential between film and digital, Sabyasachi. I have been using the digital camera since its commercial launch in 1996 and have also been involved with the development of the sensors and the processes for the same. Although have been using film and digital concurrently, after being a film guy, my basic style has not changed very much and still prefer the composition, lighting etc out of the camera rather than on a computer. Have continued to be a hobbyist but more a teacher and researcher for a long time.

Would not in this forum initiate a dialogue on the variations of dark rooms.

Have a great Day
    BNS

Thread Information