ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: heartening news...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default heartening news...

India's tiger population increases by 30% in past three years to 2,226 tigers
    Jan 20, 2015, 12.06 PM IST

NEW DELHI: Here is a good news for wildlife conservationists and tiger lovers. The population of tigers has increased in India from 1,706 in 2011 to 2,226 in 2014.

The new tiger census, released by Union environment minister Prakash Javadekar, shows that India — which has 70% of the world tiger population — has registered an increase of 30 per cent in country's tiger population in the past three years.

"While the tiger population is falling in the world, it is rising in India. It is a great news", said Javadekar.

Referring to the census exercise, he said, "Never before such an exercise has been taken in that massive scale where we have unique photographs of 80% of the India's tiger".

If one look at the 2008 tiger census figure, the current increase is simply phenomenal. India's tiger population was 1,411 in 2008. Tiger census is carried out after a gap of every three years by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) in the country.

According to the 2011 tiger census report, the tiger population estimated was 1,706 (i.e. ranging between a minimum of 1,571 to a maximum of 1,875). The results included figures from 17 states having tiger population.

The latest tiger census figures show that Karnataka has the highest number of tigers in the age group of 1.5 years and more. The state has 408 tigers in that age group followed by 340 in Uttarakhand, 308 in Madhya Pradesh, 229 in Tamil Nadu, 190 in Maharashtra, 167 in Assam, 136 in Kerala and 117 in Uttar Pradesh.

In 2008 the tiger population was 1411. The Tiger Census report that year had classified the tiger occupied forests in India into 6 landscape — (a) Shivalik-Gangetic Plains, (b) Central Indian Landscape Complex (c) Eastern Ghats, (d) Western Ghats, (e) North-Eastern Hills and Bhramaputra Plains, and (f) Sunderbans.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/45950634.cms
    Last edited by Mrudul Godbole; 20-01-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Good news.

With the success achieved, our responsibility has gone up. True, more tigers, projected at 2,226 are roaming free in the wild. And yet, we are wrong. Only one half of them are getting effective protection in some better managed Tiger Reserves and National Parks and the rest are facing pressure due to expansion of human activity. These one half will be trying to extend their domain which will provoke further man-animal conflict.

Our first priority shall be to create, preserve and protect the corridors linking the Tiger Reserves and National Parks and sanctuaries in a particular landscape so that 'in breeding' does not destroy gene-pool of the tiger at the top of the Indian Jungles.

The corridors immediately come to my mind are: Corbett-Rajaji, Bandhavgarh-Palamau, Western Ghat- Mhadei., .....

The total Economic valuation of 6 T.Rs : Sundarbans, Periyar, Corbett, Kanha, Ranthambhore and Kaziranga is estimated at Rs. I.49 lac crore (excluding land value). Incredible India.

Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 23-01-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Thread Information