ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Nandur Madhyameshwar : Neglected Wetlands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nandur Madhyameshwar : Neglected Wetlands

Nandur Madhyameshwar is a large lake and wetland near Nashik, Maharashtra. Because the lake, built by dam-ming of Godavari and Kodwa rivers, lies in plains, it forms large areas of fertile wetlands. These attract tens of thousands of migratory birds in the winters.

Nandur Madhyameshwar is also an Important Birding Area of Maharashtra, and of course India.

Unfortunately, there is little protection to the birds and habitat. I saw people openly filling the lake to create farmland. I saw people entering the lake after sunset for fishing, thereby disturbing the roosting birds.

In attached photo see how the lake is being filled up with earth probably illegally mined from nearby hills.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the evenings, locals come in these inflated truck tube 'boats' with fishing nets to get the fish. Who knows, also the birds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sad situation. The first photo shows landgrabbing going on. Most of the time construction debris are deposited to reclaim wetlands. Then they get one person to set up a hut and then slowly they start building up more huts. All these people are paid to stay there on behalf of land grabbers.

The truck tubes are used to help as floatation device. I am not sure if these villagers employ this to hide themselves and physically catch birds. This is an old technique that used to be practiced in Chilika lake and similar techniques are also practiced in Pakistan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is unfortunate that we humans keep wanting more and we wont keep any space for other species. I have got the details of the APCCF for Nasik division (mentioned below). From IndiaWilds I will write a mail to him attaching the above images and make him aware about the damage been done to this place. If we all write to him, I hope there will be some action taken.

Shri. Kuldip N. Khawarey
    Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest
    Off. 0253-2599632
    Fax.0253-2599632
    Email - apccfwlnashik@gmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mrudul. Our wilderness is fast depleting, and our collective efforts alone can make a small impact. If we show enough numbers, then we will probably be valuable as a vote bank, which is perhaps the best way to get our point noticed.

Thread Information