ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: A cute one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default A cute one...

While returning from Gandhi tekdi of SGNP and looking out for the early noon butterflies, usually spotted in large numbers, I came across some strange movement noise along the bushy area slightly elevated from the road. Initially I thought it might be some miscreant couple, (whole of the area is covered with such college going or other forms of couples busy with their regular stuffs that they feel uncomfortable doing in front of the public in public areas, these r the biggest buzz kills in such serene environment and mostly spotted degrading the area), but, out of curiosity, when I tried to locate the source of the sound I spotted a really small, juvenile spotted deer moving at a very slow pace and trying to get out of a slightly populated shrub. Initiallly I thought it might be resting inside while its mother had some food, but I couldnt spot any elder deer anywhere in the area and the juv seemed to be trapped in the shrubs, on spotting me though it moved out of it and took refuge in another patch of heavy shrub, trying to camouflage itself into the scene. I kept myself steady just to check if its missed out from the herd and wheteher it was injured. It seemed to be a bit weak and was trying to rest. After over 5-6mins, while i tried to stay as a statue, it came out of the shrub and was trying to scan the area and just kept the motion bvery limited. It surely seemed to have got lost, looking at it I tried contacting few officials of SGNP, I had from a book I had recently purchased. The first one was from NIOC where the lady mentioned she would be asking an expert to call me back, but for over 10-15mins I didnt get any call, so I called the Communication centre where they asked me to report it to a local caretaker at Gandhi takdi, since it was over 500m away from the spot I tried reaching the place thru a shortcut and reported about the foal and the possibility that it might have got lost. The person, with least interest witht he matter, mentioned that the Tiger/Lion rescue team will be sent, as I had called the communication centre, and they will take care of it, dont worry. Since this wasnt the kind of action I had expected I went back to the spot where I had last seen, and the baby was still there, now seated at a position. Just to observe its behaviour or for any injuries, I tried going closer to it at a very slow and cautious pace. The juv didnt seem to be alerted with that but after about a minute or two it came very close to me and started/ tired to observe me. Keeping myself as steady as possible to avoid any form of shock on seeing a human at so close proximity I sat there and was about to get my bottle out of my bag, expectign it to be thirsty, the deer saw my motion but wasnt very scared, rather moved a feet away from me and stared watching me, but unfortunately some youngsters passing on the bike, near the area, honked which bothered the deer and i ran off at a quick pace, all of a sudden vanishing into the shrubs and trees. I tried following the direction of the run but was in vain as I immediately lost it. I tried locating it for another 15-20 mins in the neighbouring area, but was in vain. I hope and pray that the juv went back or came across a herd of spotted deer and is not left alone.

EXIF:
    Canon 550D
    Canon 55-250 IS
    F/4.5
    Shutterspeed 1/160
    ISO 200
    Focal length 84mm

This was the most heart touching encounter I ever had in SGNP and I wished the known authorities were a bit more supportive in such situations.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Very cute. Wish it has joined the herd. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Instinctively the fawn will hide in a bush and will remain still. More often I have seen sambar fawns left behind by the herd. Slightly wider and from a lower angle would have been great. However, I understand you perhaps thought that the fawn will get spooked and hence clicked from whatever angle it was possible. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information