ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Whistling Teal Fleeing Marsh Harrier Attack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Whistling Teal Fleeing Marsh Harrier Attack

This picture was taken in Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary on 8th of March 2015. The wetland is full of water bird including many indigenous as well as few migratory species. I was busy shooting ducks with my camera when suddenly this kite swooped down like a fighter jet from mid air on the ducks basking in the evening sun. The ducks quaked, few dived while few flew off like the one in the picture. Everything happened instantly and I was so awestruck by the sequence of event that I was only able to capture couple ofCa pics of this interesting prey vs predator behaviour!

Exif Data:

Camera: Canon 60D
    Lens: Sigma 150-500mm
    Aperture: 6.3
    ISO: 1600
    Exposure time: 1/1600
    Focal Length: 313mm
    Handheld
    Cropped

-Nishith
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

A drama of the Jungle nicely documented. Looks like Brahminy Kite attacking...........It does attack small birds, chicks in the Sundarbans. But in the instant case, looking at the size of the prey, its a chase which may not end up with a kill. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Superb moment freezed here. this is a marsh harrier chasing a whistling teal...a month ago i saw this very same combination down south here on calicut outskirts ( it almost looks like the chase continued all the way there... ). That attack failed and the teal got away , this seems more close. what happened? marsh harriers regularly go after smaller water birds like coots, jacanas and teals.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Saktipada and Roopak for liking the pic Luckily for the whistling teal it was a failed attack
    The Marsh Harrier came pretty close to the teal ( I do have another pic but it's a bit out of focus) but amazingly it got away from its claw..

-Nishith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another picture from the same chase just to show how close the Marsh harrier came to it's prey!!

-Nishith
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

WOW...this is a superb record Nishith..pls post this as a series in the natural history section with the images you have in a sequence. Not many records of a marsh harrier going after its prey in mid air flight.

There is a theory (based on a paper by Matthieu Guillemain , Michel Lepley , Herve Fritz & Nathalie Hecker (2007) Marsh Harriers Circus aeruginosus target Teals Anas crecca ) of how they flush large flocks of ducks and other birds in water bodies by flying over them to test if there are any injured, sick or flightless birds and then attack such birds.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting natural history moment captured. I downloaded and zoomed in to see that the claw was just touching the teal. It was so close. Do post the images in the natural history section. Very rare sighting. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very interesting documentation sir...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nishith it will be good if you can add some tags like Marsh Harrier, Attack, Teal to the Natural history post. Also request Mrudul to change the subject of this post if possible.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting natural history moment captured. There is a slight green cast in the images. It should be in natural history section so that others can see it later as well.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the appreciation:-) Feel free to shift the post to natural history section!

-Nishith

Thread Information