Thread: Ghost and the Darkness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ghost and the Darkness

On 19th of Dec 2015, it was almost full moon, very cold and misty, it was still dark with dawn 10 to 15 minutes away, we were the first vehicle out in the vast forest, slowly rolling down on the regular beat track of two tigers. We were at bifurcation, when observed some animal most probably a leopard or tiger melted away into the lantana bush to our left. We hurriedly backed few foot and turned to the left path which cuts the jungle path on other end from which the animal went in.
    As Corbett use to say, darkness, when used in connection with dusk, dawn or night, is a relative term and has no fixed standard, to one it would be pitch dark, to another it would be dark and to third it would be moderately dark. To me it was moderately dark, I was geared with Nikon FX loaded with 70-200 F 2.8 and waited eagerly for the mystery animal to break its cover and come out of the jungle path now from our right. After few minutes of wait, the ghost of the corbett tiger reserve came out padding softly few meters to out front right.
    It was a feeling that cannot be described in words.

Nikon, Nikor 70-200 F2.8, shot @ 135mm F 2.8, ISO 6400, 1/320s
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

The 'phantom of beauty' moves on a Great Cat's paws at the break of the dawn. The forest road looks like a flowing stream. Incredible.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome narration to what you rightly sum up: Cannot be expressed in words . . . . . I like the composition and maybe you can cut out some space behind the animal to give it an even more complete look. Is that a lapwing or a bittern on the left side of the road, in line with where the animal is facing ?

The noise by the high ISO actually adds an eerie tinge to the photo, complementing the nice title you have picked for this amazing picture.

thanks for sharing

Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Incredible sighting and equally great that you were able to record it.And of course the title conjures up unforgettable visuals of a great movie many of them just like this. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The title made me imagine a leopard. This image gives us a feel of the situation. It is good that you included the road in the composition. One who has not been in situations in jungles where there has been fear of life, will not understand the impact of a tiger or leopard on people. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice. agree the road adds to the image and the misty scene almost looks like one by starlight.
    TFS
    Roopak

Thread Information