ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Mangrove seedling (underwater)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Mangrove seedling (underwater)

A mangrove seedling growing in an almost permanently submerged part of the Kali river mouth (Karwar, Karnataka), while Cerithidea snails plough the ground around it as they graze. Not sure about the mangrove species (I am very bad at mangrove ID) but it is probably either a Sonneratia or Rhizophora sp.

Mangroves live in the harshest of environments - they can withstand submergence in spite of being primarily terrestrial, cope with salinity fluctuationsthat kill most other plants, have developed strategies to respire in the most air-depleted soil, and successfully colonise some of the most weather-beaten coastlines. Mangrove forests form a barrier and soil anchoring system that stops surging tides from weathering the land; their complex root systems serve as fish nurseries that ultimately support countless human livelihoods (and stomachs); and of course, like all forests, they produce considerable amounts of breathable oxygen.

Why anyone would clear mangroves to make way for buildings completely baffles me.

GoPro Hero 4
    FL 3mm (fisheye)
    SS 1/850
    Av 2.8
    ISO 100
    EC -0.5
    Full frame

Pardon the low quality, this was originally photographed in low visibility, and I have subsequently edited it to bring out details.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A plant growing under water , amazing. If one looks closely there are so many things in nature that will leave you amazed.

Nature has everything for a reason, but humans don't think and are harming themselves in the long run for immediate returns . How did you sight this? Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

They can withstand sumbergence. During hightide the tiny ones have to manage being submerged for sometime. At least the place appears to be clean. In other places polythene bags cover these small seedlings and choke them. They are a hardy species but need our attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mrudul - I was wading in knee-deep water where I found this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice way to portray the hardiness and adaptability of this species. Good work Abhishek
    TFS
    Roopak

Thread Information