Thread: The Hunter and The Hunted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Hunter and The Hunted

The hunters know what they are doing, what to expect, which deer to kill, which to let go and where to ‘steer’ the herd. Our gypsy was rolling down through the forest path, when suddenly the smooth sound of the petrol engine was subdued with the alarm cries of chital deer. The driver stopped the gypsy and switched off the ignition. We could see the herd of chital running helter-skelter, but could not spot the predator. When suddenly observed a jackal breaking out of the cover of the grass and dashing straight toward the fawn. In the image one can see the fawn leaping and the jackal about 10 m to 15 m behind the fawn. Any guess! was it the day of the jackal or fawn.

Nikon, Nikor 70-200 F 2.8, Shot @ 200 mm F 8, ISO 640, 1/250s. Kanha National Park, Sarahi Zone
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great that you could witness and capture this rare action. Its good that you could get both of them in the frame. The mid-air leaping pose of the fawn shows its desperate attempt to save itself. Slight difficult conditions to photograph, as the background is in shadow and the foreground is very bright. I think it was day of the fawn . Do let us know what happened. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fawn lived to see another day is my guess . . great action photo !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately not, being inexperienced he could not survive the Jackals plan. Survival of the fittest prevailed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice frame.
    Debasis Bhai,
    I think, there was another jackal in the pack, not visible in the picture and combined move sealed the destiny of the fawn.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When jackals chase a fawn at times the mother makes feeble attempt to distract. However without the formidable antlers of the stag it becomes difficult for the mother to repulse an attack and can be easily brought down by the jackals. I have sighted jackals chasing away even large prey like nilgai. Often the jackals chase away the prey towards the partner and it becomes difficult to counter two of them.

PS: I haven't seen a sambar being attacked by jackals. Wonder if our venerable teacher Shri M. Krishnan has written anything about it.

Thread Information