ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Future of Manas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Future of Manas

Rhino usually follows the same path for foraging. I waited for two square days at a point in central range to click the image of this mother and child. The last day I took that image leaving my Olympus camera on ground using remote control shutter from distance. I always love to see cubs with mother as you all love. The cubs bring new hope to all who love Manas. When the Rhinos of Manas are still struggling for their survival.

Olympus OMD EM-1 + Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 PRO + Wi-Fi Remote control
    ISO 640, 1/1000, f8, +0.3 step, @ Focal length 30mm , B & W done in Adobe CS5, Full frame image.

Month of click- June
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Very natural image in the serene environment of Manas. Number of Rhinos in Manas, will always be regulated by the habitat of Manas as, I feel, only a part of the forest is truly ideal for Rhino. When I visited Manas in 1979, Rhino population was about 40. If we could have about 60-70 Rhinos here, it would be a remarkable achievement.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice image. I would loved to see more of the tree ie. more space on the left. The challenge in this image is that the rhino's head and body has become dark.

I think a few from Jaldapara were shifted to Manas. It would be really nice if rhino's can reestablish their territories and multiply in Manas without fear. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

When I visited pristine Manas in April 1979 the Rhino population was estimated at about 40. After large scale disturbance began in 1989, the poachers too took full advantage and almost entire rhino population was wiped out and the last sighting was reported in 1996.
    When peace was restored, a major thrust was given to restore Rhino population in Manas and during 2008-2012; 10 Rhinos from Pobitora wls, 8 from Kaziranga and 4 from Centre for Wildlife Rehabilitation and Conservation (CWRC) near Panbari (Assam) : Total 22 Rhinos were translocated to Manas. Another 2 Rhinos from CWRC were released in 2016.
    The translocated Rhinos gave birth to 11 calves, which was a good news.
    However, there has been increase in poaching pressures and the Rhino population was reported to be 31 sometime back.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The low angle gives a nice perspective. Agree with Sabyasachi, that zooming out further would have been nice to include the whole tree. Hope they are able to stay and prosper in Manas. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information