ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Sunderbans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sunderbans

This was photographed from the balcony of the Sajnekhali guest house in Sunderbans in May.

It was a very brief sighting as it perched for a few seconds and immediately flew off.

Canon EOS 80D, 100-400mm L IS USM lens + 1.4 X TC, f8, 1/125, ISO 400, full frame, hand held.

Id help appreciated. Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mrudul ji

I think it is Mangrove Whistler [Pachycephala cinerea]. Do you have any shot from different angle! Mangrove whistlers are very very difficult to spot in Sundarbans. You can only listen their song great shot...I am seeing an image of this bird after long time...TFS
    Samrat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice sighting. Fast action photo by Madam Mrudul. Looks like Ashy Woodswallow Shrike (Artamus fucus) also found in Sundarbans. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Samrat, Saktida for the help with the id. I have another image, but the light was not good in that. Will process and post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am confused between the two IDs provided by Samrat and Sakti da. One more image will certainly help, and so will info on the size of the bird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice catch mrudul. Looks like large cuckoo shrike female. it looks big for a mangroove whistler and plumage looks different ( i have never seen one except in pics). Not an ashy woodswallow. the jizz of that bird is different...tail is not this long and will just reach wing tip and head also looks different.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agree with Roopak's observations on the size and shape. I would lean towards cuckoo shrikes, not sure which species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mrudul first clicked one shot and then came to ask us about the id as she had doubts. Uploading the first shot that she had clicked. Later on I had taken the camera and shot a couple of frames. This is cropped.

Looking at the photos from Salim Ali, I think this looks more like a large wood shrike and a little bit like a large cuckoo shrike. I am more inclined towards the large wood shrike. Upto you all experts to decide.

I think later on in the next day we shot an ashy wood swallow, which Mrudul will post later.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

From this photograph of Shri Sabyasachi it looks like Large Cuckooshrike (Coracina macei), rare and localised in the Sundarbans, and these birds have been photographed at locations not far off from Sajnekhali.
    Roopak Bhai has identified it from the western coast so promptly.........commendable.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Thread Information