User Tag List

Thread: 500D to 760D/70D/80D?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default 500D to 760D/70D/80D?

Hi all,

I finally am in need of an upgrade from my 6 year old 500D, which now has a faltering flash and LCD.

I was considering a 70D as an upgrade, as this would also give me a much-needed upgrade in the burst frame rate. I then also found out about the 760D & 80D. I would still lean towards the 70D, but would like to know more about this camera (and the other two) from members who might have tried them.

I also considered a full switch to Nikon, because my field research camera is a borrowed D3100, with which I am immensely happy, especially with high ISO performance. I have only two Canon lenses (the 100mm Macro USM and the 18-55mm kit lens) to sell off if I do make a switch. However, I am at the same time very much in love with the 100 Macro and that, combined with the fact that Nikon's equivalent micro lens is much more expensive, makes me reconsider making a brand switch. I also fear selling off the 100 Macro because the cost of this lens keeps shooting up, and I do not want to get into the trouble of having to buy one afresh in the future!

I have to make a decision and a purchase within this week. I would be grateful for any advice and help.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

PS - After reading about the 70D & 80D in comparison to the 760D (or rather, what I want from these cameras), I see only the frame rate of 7fps vs 5 fps to be a real deciding factor. Even this would be applicable only if I plan to use the camera with a telephoto lens in the future, for something like birds/mammals. I do not have immediate plans to do this. In any case, my bird photography is largely restricted to photography for ID purposes and record shots. Considering this, I would now lean more towards the 760D.

Your views please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently using 80D and would have suggested you to buy that if compared to 760D and 70D. Its lighter, video is good and the rear view can be moved, helping while taking a low angle video. But as you have mentioned you are not looking for burst rate or using a telephoto lens with it, then 760D can be good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The dynamic range of the 80D is much better. That in my opinion is more useful in shooting high contrast subjects. In macros often one finds light shining on the leaf or background and one part of the frame is dark. In such situations the 80D is much better. Everything is not solely limited to burst rate. I rarely use the 14fps burst of the 1Dx Mark II. Before that hardly used the 10fps burst of 1D Mark IV.

If you are placing the camera on the ground then the vari-angle LCD of the 80D would be useful to shoot stills. Can't do that with my 1DXII.

One of the challenges with Nikon is their lenses need to be turned in the other direction for focusing. If you are using AF, then that is not an issue. Beyond that don't want to start a Nikon vs Canon debate. On competent hands both the camera brands do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks, already bought the 760D. After the few trials I've done with it, I'm satisfied with its capabilities considering my needs.

I realised I was leaning towards the superior frame rate only because it seemed like an attractive upgrade :P . I am hardly going to use it for shooting action. In any case, the 5fps that comes with the 760D is a step up for me anyway. Contrary to what I had thought, 5 fps (760D) vs. 3 fps (500D) makes a HUGE difference - it is likely to get me significantly more usable macro shots when shooting without flash.

Like the 80D, the 760D has a vari-angle LCD, which will again get me many more odd-angle macro shots.
    A major step up from my 500D (and the reason I chose the 760 over the 750) is a better control layout akin to the **D cameras.
    Another, maybe minor feature change, is the shutter. I have almost no complaints about the 500D, but the shutter slap in this camera gradually started to annoy me over the years I've spent using it - is is loud and you can feel it slap really hard. The 760D and most other newer ***D cameras have a shutter that seems to have better damping, and is relatively silent (only a dull clunk).

Regarding Nikon vs Canon - I am glad I didn't pursue that idea too far . I am a person on a budget, and switching my macro system would probably have been a nightmare. Also, I realised I was comparing a much newer Nikon body to a much older Canon body, which didn't make sense. The 760D's image quality is up to par for me.

Thread Information