ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Great Indian Bustard flight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Great Indian Bustard flight

Critically Endangered Great Indian Bustard ( in short GIB , popular within birding community) or Godavan/Godawan in local language. Rajasthan. Nov 2016. A memorable 100th post in this forum.

Name:  IMG_2235-2.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  197.5 KB

We really do not know how long the small population ( < 120 in wild in 2015-16) will survive !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Spectacular image, streamlined body and wings. Weight, lift, thrust and drag all perfectly matched for attaining the cruising speed by one of the heaviest birds of India in flight. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much for the words. It's conservation is not a successful story. I personally felt that this particular species needs a lot more help from human to survive. This cruel world is not kind to their behaviour. I am not expert but it seems the Darwin's theory has got another classic example to prove the path of extinction for "unfit".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Congratulations on your 100th post. Nice post to mark the 100th.

I like the upward wingstrokes. This beautiful bird is facing serious threats due to conversion of lands to agriculture and poaching. It is no more available in much of its range in the South India. Hope their numbers proliferate once again.

Darwin's theory is not actually true here as each species needs time to evolve in response to threat. However, the way man is destroying everything, it is tough for any species to rapidly evolve. Except Man, mosquitoes and cockroach, perhaps all other species are facing a major threat. Man too faces threat but is not able to realise it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

One of the most beautiful bird being destroyed by the most cruel of God's (if there is any) creation. We need to be very careful with Darwin's theory. it's misinterpretation led to the justification of mass colonization of Asia and Africa culminating in the World wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if my words led to confusion about Darwin's interpretation. What I meant is ,from the behaviour & nature this species (being a bigger in avifauna)it is evident that it needs greater help from human and it cannot survive now on its own.
    We had already seen it being wiped out from Nannaj despite having breeding population.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    Man too faces threat but is not able to realise it.
    Absolutely !! Could not agree more. Thanks for your words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful image to mark your 100th post. You are really lucky to sight this bird and also see and photograph it in flight. Nice light and liked the display of habitat. I had sighted this bird in LRK from a long distance and when we tried to go closer in the gypsy it went further away , so not yet got a decent photograph of it. Hope to sight it soon.

Hope it is able to survive and prosper for years to come. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved the wing position here...thanks for sharing..

Samrat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are lucky to get this photograph. The poor bird, unfortunately has a bleak future. As long as we don't save habitats...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paramvir Singh View Post
    You are lucky to get this photograph. The poor bird, unfortunately has a bleak future. As long as we don't save habitats...
    Thanks Paramvir. Yes , luck indeed favoured that day. Saving the habitat as well as removing the threat for the chicks and young ones are prime priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Samrat Sarkar View Post
    I loved the wing position here...thanks for sharing..

Samrat
    Thank you Samrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrudul Godbole View Post
    Hope to sight it soon.

Hope it is able to survive and prosper for years to come. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting.
    I hope you and all our future generation should be able see them in wild. We must work together to make it happen.

Thread Information