User Tag List

Thread: Goosebumps worthy experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Goosebumps worthy experience

ID: Indian Spectacled Cobra

While returning from a successful and a tad long trail down the Nagla block, while almost at the end of trail, I heard some rustling noise just a feet away from my leg, the sound of which triggered some serious goosebumps. Curious to know the reason for the sound, I progressed a few feet away and looked out for the source of the sound, only to realize a beauty slithering through the dried leaves onto the trail, probably to cross over to the other side of the trail. Shocked by the presence I immediately popped out the camera and captured a few frames and observed the reaction of the reptile, that also had come to know about my presence. After momentary exchange of shocking look at each other, the snake decided to slither back onto the trench, almost disappearing into the dense carpet of dried leaves, not to be spotted later.
    After a thorough look at the frame and also cross checking it with wildlife loving friends/experts, got to know that the beauty was nothing other than an Indian Spectacled Cobra.

EXIF:
    Canon 550D
    Canon 55-250 IS
    F/6.3
    Shitterspeed 1/400
    ISO 200
    Handheld, No flash fired

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

yeah it was a Cobra. The dance of cobra ! Congrats to come out of this experience having the goosebumps and the 'high' thereafter .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Naja Naja, marking on the head and slightly flattened frontal part are clear. Its great you have captured the marking on hood when the snake is on move and hood not spread. Amongst Cobras of India : Naja Naja, Naja Kaoutia and the King Cobra, the venom of Naja Naja is most toxic per unit. This snake is not aggresive unless one steps upon or disturb it and most of temple snakes belong to this species only. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a sighting..!! Great that you were alert and quick that you could photograph it before it slipped away. Its so nicely camouflaged among the dry leaves and mud. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Very nice. Not too many photographs of this species going on its way with the hood closed.

Thread Information