ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Indian Wolf - in Tipeshwar WLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Indian Wolf - in Tipeshwar WLS

Canon SX60 HS, 1/160, f/5.6, 184 mm, ISO-640. Basic PP in GIMP.
    Clicked in Tipeshwar WLS on 13th Nov, 2016.

Our first visit to Tipeshwar. It turned out to be quite eventful.
    It was the last Safari and we were trying very hard. In a forest trail, carpeted with light & shadow, we detected an unusual pattern. We froze; it was jogging along the trail, it paused and looked at us. We became very happy & relaxed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards;
    Subhash Shrivastava;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice sighting. After rains its colour looks darker and being male it is heavier. Nice take. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Subhash,
    Can you please let us know if it had rolled in mud or if this is the exact colouration? It seems to have less of hair.

I am quoting from the Mammals of South Asia, Vol. 2 Edited by AJT Johnsingh and Nima Manjrekar

"Colour variation is rare among Indian wolves. Melanic forms are reported only in the Tibetan subspecies. In much of the wolf's range in peninsular India, summer temperatures occasionally approach 0 deg C. Contrary to earlier reports (Shahi 1982), Indian wolves do develop under-fur in winter. In its winter coat, the Indian wolf resembles a German Shepherd dog. In summer, most of the fur is shed, and only sparse long hair remain on the wolf's body. This gives the wolf a scrawny, long-legged appearance." page 378

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Sabya sir; Even I am amused by it's coloration, on looking closure it looks like it might have rolled in the muddy water as the hairs seemed sticking together in legs and the waist. Though there were no water holes in the vicinity as we were on a higher ground, the forest floor was very damp. It was November month. Dark coloration is also enhanced by the shadow of the tree canopy falling on the Wolf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely frontal view photograph. I liked the display of the vegetation in the background. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dear Saktida, Mrudul. Thanks for sharing your views.

Sakti da, Yes, it is looking like it is drenched in the rains .It didn't rain during the days we were there, though the forest was very damp and had lot of muddy waterholes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Subhash Bhai,
    Apropos of my posting dated 4.4.2017, what exactly I wished to communicate for 'after rains' was 'after rainy season' ; not after some rains during previous night or in the morning. I think the wolf would look slimmer with long legs in summer.
    Or, Is the dark colour causing an optical illusion as observed by our Great teacher Krishnan in case of Black Leopard! (Our Natural History Column: 9 April 2017)
    Kind regards,
    SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dear Sakti da; I am learning from you, Sabyasachi and others in the forum who are far more experienced and are experts in Wildlife. The rainy season had extended till Oct last year in the deccan, so it was 'just after the rainy season' .

Thread Information