User Tag List

Thread: Panasonic Launches AU-EVA-1 Camera with 5.7K sensor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Panasonic Launches AU-EVA-1 Camera with 5.7K sensor

Panasonic Launches AU-EVA-1 Camera with 5.7K sensor:
    Panasonic has finally revealed details of the specifications of its AU-EVA1 camera Super 35 Cinema camera and its price. Here are the silent specs of the Panasonic AU-EVA1 camera

Compact: 6.69” x 5.31” x 5.23” with removable handgrip and weighs 1.2kg and aimed at handheld shooting as well as mounting on gimbals

Sensor: Super 35mm sensor with 5.7K resolution and down sampled to 4K/UHD/2K/Full HD etc.

Resolution: With the EVA-1 internally you can record in 4K (4096 x 2160), UHD (3840 x 2160), 2K (2048 x 1080), Full-HD (1920 x 1080), and HD (1280 x 720). For high-speed capture, the EVA1 offers up to 59.94 fps for 4K, up to 120 fps for 2K and Full-HD, or 240 fps with an image sensor crop.

Bit depth and colour: The EVA-1 records files using 10-bit, 4:2:2 sampling and it will help in post-processing. Though not all 8-bit files are the same, most of the 8 bit files break apart when recording smooth gradations in the sky or subtle shades and the 10 bit 42:2 will be welcome. However, at the moment it would only be recorded at upto150 Mbps and with a promised firmware update at some future date, 400Mbps recording will be available.

Dual Native ISO: 800 and 2500 ISO. So switching from ISO 800 to ISO 2500 is likely to result in minimal increase in grains as this uses alternative circuitry in the sensor rather than using gain for higher ISO or gamma shifting. The Varicam series have dual native ISO of ISO 800 and ISO 5000. So the EVA1 is not expected to be as good in low light as the varicam series.

Dynamic range: The dynamic range helps measure the luminance range that a digital camera can capture and the EVA1 delivers 14-stops of Dynamic Range, enabling fine gradation in exposure from bright to dark.

Lens Mount: EF lens mount is the most popular lens mount at the moment and the Panasonic EVA-1 uses it so all the Canon as well as other third party lenses in EF mount will work.
    ND Filter: Electronically controlled ND filter wheel with 2, 4, and 6 stops of filtration for cutting down on excess light. This is very important when you want to keep a desired wide aperture even in bright light.

IR Cut filter: The EVA-1 has an IR-cut filter for shooting in extreme low-light situations or for creative color effects.

Image Stabilisation: The EVA-1 has electronic image stabilization. We have to see how good it is in actual conditions.

Recording Media: The EVA-1 records to SDXC memory cards which are raed at V60. There are dual SDXC card slots or one can record to both the cards simultaneously for backup purposes.

I/O: There are dual balanced XLR audio inputs in the body. The HDMI and SDI video outputs are both 4K-capable which is a big bonus. So one can send 1080p for viewing and 4K for external recording.

Timecode: The EVA-1 has got timecode which makes it good for use in productions.

No EVF: The Panasonic EVA-1 camera doesn’t have a built-in EVF. So you have to only use the LCD monitor. At times while shooting in a busy street, I find people recording from my LCD monitor using their camera phones. There are also places where you simply can’t open the LCD monitor and have to depend on the EVF. If you are in a hide waiting for a predator near a waterhole and you open the LCD, then your face is going to be bright and will attract attention. Similarly, in many run-n-gun shooting conditions or places where you don’t want to show that you are shooting, EVF is an absolute necessity. Also, in a small handheld camera, EVF often helps in balance. So skimping on EVF to save money makes this camera a no go for many situations. Else, the specs of this camera is good for many documentary situations.

Price: The Panasonic EVA-1 camera is officially priced at 7495 US Dollars. However, street pricing is lower. It is listed at 7345 US dollars in B&H.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information