ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Safar's commence at Satyamangalam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Safar's commence at Satyamangalam

Wild life enthusiasts and tourists will be able to see elephants, tigers and other wild animals up close in the Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve (STR), as the Forest Department is set to begin a vehicle safari on a trial basis from November 5.

The largest wildlife sanctuary in the State, the STR was declared a tiger reserve in 2013, which covers a forest area of 1,411.60 sq. km. As per the guidelines of the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA), the forest department studied the wildlife, its movement pattern, habitations and potential for eco-tourism in the past four years. The carrying capacity of animals in core and buffer zones were also worked out by using the footages from camera trappings.

The department has hired a 15-seater van and another 10-seater vehicle from the Salem Forest Department for the safari on Saturdays and Sundays.

The three-hour safari will be on Karachikorai - Thengumarahada, Dhimbam - Tipu Sultan Road, Kuyyanur Pirivu - Karikal Mokkai, Hassanur – Huligerepatti, Talavadi – Jeerahally Road or Yettugatti Betta and Germalam – Shooting Lodge Road.

I. Anwardeen, Chief Conservator of Forests and Field Director of STR, told The Hindu, “It is the first step in introducing eco-tourism activities at the four-year-old STR.”

Those interested could contact the District Forest Officer, Sathyamangalam and Hassanur or the Sathyamangalam Tiger Foundation at 96009-12528.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le19979923.ece

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrudul Godbole View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing the update.
    Oh yes Mrudul, that place is comparatively quite pristine as it has very little support infrastructure for tourism

I have had some amazing experiences in the past in that region. Once, on a quick one day trip to visit an ailing friend, i saw two tigers on the way to his place and on the return trip, there was even a sloth bear on the road side. Unfortunately, as it was a quick trip i did not carry my camera along and i still curse myself every time i pass by or read something about Sathyamangalam. If i remember right, i did post the pictures from a crude aim and shoot (or was it a mobile phone) on this forum. Maybe i'll fish out the link for a reference.

regards
    Rajan

Thread Information