User Tag List

Thread: Kabini Visit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kabini Visit

Hi All,

Visited Kabini Nagarhole last week. Rain played a spoil sport all through. Managed to get some clicks. But missed majorly on a Sloth Bear & Dhole.
    Below image is on 5D III - 100-400 II - f6.3 ; 1/800 ; 1600 - Hand held. Have captured landscape view as well. Cropped the portrait a bit from below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice frame. The Chital stand alert but are reasonably sure that the predator is in no mood to go hunting at this moment. It may be moving towards its resting place during rains. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice sighting. Its belly seems to be filled. Agree with Saktipada ji that the languid manner in which the tiger is walking shows that it has no intention to hunt. The tail of the cheetal is not up. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sighted a tiger, so I think your trip is made . Nice to see both the prey and the predator in one image. If you know animal behavior well, so many things can be told by just looking at a picture, which can be seen from the above comments from Satida and Sabyasachi.

I feel the vertical composition works well here. You could have also tried to compose with some less space at the bottom and a bit more at the top (as per the rule of thirds). The high ISO and shutter speed has helped. Look forward to see the wider composition. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice composition capturing the atmosphere of the jungle in the given moment. Shows how the prey is in sync with the mood of the predator. Less space at the bottom would have added to the composition . Thanks for sharing .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stunning Shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your comments and feedback. It was my first visit to Kabini and I was with a popular photo tour group. We could hear this tiger roaring from quite a distance but unfortunately spent some time locating the cat. Partially, because of the thick lantana all around and then because of some inexperience in the group. Finally, we found ourselves a spot where we could look in four directions and spotted this one majestically crossing the road and disappearing in a matter of seconds.

Infact, we had another sighting on the last day of our trip when we found a mother and two cubs feasting on a cattle, which probably lost it's way and drifted into the jungle. The moment they saw our jeep the mother and the cubs vanished into the bushes. They were probably 30 feet away from us and we could not see them (though could hear them) for almost 45 min.

Sadly, a commotion took place. Safari drivers irresponsibly, started calling everyone they could to photograph the coveted family. Soon there were at least 10 jeeps all around!! (not sure how all this goes unchecked !!)

We asked the driver to leave the spot, but we wouldn't have gone too far, when he was informed over a call, that family has come out to have their meal. The driver rushed back, on the way, we missed a Dhole and a Sloth bear only to find ourselves back in line with the Safari circus ...
    yes it was a jungle there !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sad to hear about your experience Neeraj! I too have faced the same situation. The moment I sighted the black leopard, JLR driver called up all jeeps. It was a big crowd. The pleasure of watching the natural behaviour of an animal is gone. That is one of the reasons why I have stopped visiting Bandhavgarh. Earlier I used to go there every year and as long as 16 days at a stretch. This year we haven't been to Kabini as I was not keen on another crowded circus.

There is a fight to sit in the front row and place your cameras on the top of the vehicle. Guess what, the so called 'professional' photographers with 500mm lenses are the ones who fail to spot anything. Several times I had to ask the vehicle to reverse back for a sighting. I am not focussed on spending time in lesser known places in peace.

The preybase in Nagarhole is good, so it can support Tiger, leopard as well as dholes to remain in good numbers. Sighting is easier. However, this crowd makes me sick.

Thread Information