ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Black jackal from W.Bengal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Black jackal from W.Bengal

This is totally un-explainable , the black jackal are found in good population at wetland village near Kolkata.
    We were in Kalbansh village of Amta, Howrah to work on a fishing cat .
    I spent 7-days, working on the fishing cat and to my surprise black jackal were in good population , tried to search about them on Google as well but NO information was available about their morphology.
    Capturing them is a challenge but not impossible since it is all night photography.
    Have couple of images where golden and black jackal pair sitting together. Shall post soon.
    Canon EOS 7D Mark II , Canon 300mm f/4 IS L USM , 1/50 , f/4 , handheld , -1/3 , 10% crop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Rare sighting. Fantastic image. Howrah district was once known for its fishing cats , now become rare.
    " Very dark, almost black jackals (said to be not uncommon in North India) are quite rare in the peninsula, but occur in south-west." - M.Krishnan has observed during his study up to 1970.
    Black morphological character may have some relationship with high rainfall, I think.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mindblowing click. I am waiting for next photos of golden jackal couple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite a remarkable picture of the black jackal. I have never known jackals to be fully black, on googling found some pictures of black jackals found in kerala. For a moment I thought its a wolf with a black morph, thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nature never stops to amaze us. Its remarkable that M.Krishnan had also observed this and made a note on it. Lovely pose and eye contact. Look forward to more from the series. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting. Looks like fresh out of a gutter. How many of these did you find? How many sightings? Any sighting during the day? I like the angle as well as the pose and intent look. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fantastic sighting and record of a black jackal .I nearly thought it was a wolf . Thanks for sharing .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    Interesting. Looks like fresh out of a gutter. How many of these did you find? How many sightings? Any sighting during the day? I like the angle as well as the pose and intent look. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Dada , was there for fishing cat but one of my friend's team is working on black jackl DNA and have seen them chasing for their poo to get the DNA test done. I even have confirmation from couple of people that they do exist in Assam region as well. Have been traveling a lot , shall soon post a pic with golden jackal and black jackal (pair) in one frame. Shall be there soon again . I saw total four individual and one in camera trap. No sighting in day time , all sighting were in night. Photographing them is challenge in night but as I said NOT impossible.
    For this image I was lying on road and kept my calm so as to make him comfortable to pose for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saktipada Panigrahi View Post
    Rare sighting. Fantastic image. Howrah district was once known for its fishing cats , now become rare.
    " Very dark, almost black jackals (said to be not uncommon in North India) are quite rare in the peninsula, but occur in south-west." - M.Krishnan has observed during his study up to 1970.
    Black morphological character may have some relationship with high rainfall, I think.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild
    Quote :
    'Black morphological character may have some relationship with high rainfall''

Sir would love to have some details on above , how come a relationship with rainfall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wooh! He is giving a perfect pose! What an amazing shot it is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow !! what a great shot

Thread Information