User Tag List

Thread: The stick on the stick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default The stick on the stick

ID: Stick insect

Stumbled upon a beautiful specimen of a stick insect juvenile, amazingly blending into the dried twigs off the plant right on the pathway. The natural camouflage was so amazing that one of my colleague brushed next to it without even realizing its presence. While we spent time framing the beauty, just a few feet away was this another beauty, seemed much like an adult especially in comparison with the earlier one, with a darker texture and almost twice as big, this beauty hardly moved making it look like a dried and thin branch of a plant hanging on this plant. Though stationary, or rather hardly leaving its position, it kept swaying itself, almost like flowing with the breeze, which wasnt actually that strong, that motion would make its camouflage even more genuine, probably to make it get detected by the predator even more difficult

EXIF:
    Canon 80D
    Canon 100mm macro
    F/8
    Shutterspeed 1/125
    ISO 400
    Handheld, External flash fired

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such interesting behavioral characteristics. I definitely will not be able to notice it, its so nicely camouflaged. I think now with 80D, you could have tried using a higher ISO and a narrower aperture to get more details. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information