contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Need suggestions for purchasing a camera for filming wildlife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need suggestions for purchasing a camera for filming wildlife.

Hi All,

I'm an amateur wildlife videographer, currently I'm using canon powershot sx60 hs to film wildlife videos. After a regular usage for a year I'm planning to buy a good upgrade to film videos in 4k and better framrates and image stabilization. Confused if I need to go for a interchangeable lens camera or a fixed lens camcorder, as I'm very much interested in wildlife and study along with filming I'm planning to take this interest to move full time and do some projects of my own.

As I have less knowledge on camera compared to many I need some suggestions, my upgrade should at least last 2years of equipment usage, hence, suggest if a camcorder is good or a DSLR. Also if I need to go for interchangeable lens or camcorder with built-in lens is good.

Any knowledge on above would be of great help.

I have sony pxw z280, canon xf705, canon c200, DSLR 5D Mark 4, in my views not sure if I'm thinking right. Please help find a solution.

Regards,
    Anil N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The upgrade from SX60 to proper camcorders would be a big jump. Interchangeable lens camcorders as well as DSLRs will also pose different challenges in terms of bulk and focal length as well as budget. The lenses for interchangeable camcorders and DSLRs are pretty costly. What is your budget?

The XF705 and C200 are a huge jump from your current equipment. Also remember that when you take these equipment to forests, you would need to pay a huge amount of fees as well whereas now no one notices the SX60. I would suggest take it step by step.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done my research on cost involved on both upgrade of equipment and forest fees. I'm ready to bare the cost but as I have minimal knowledge on which equipment I need to go wildlife filming need help. As all the reviews are based on filming and not wildlife filming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the equipment models are the one which I thought best to buy basis on current technology, review and would atleast last next 2-3 years without having me to upgrade further. If anyone can suggest any other models would help me decide better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am not specifically suggesting any model as it is better to understand your own needs and then buy accordingly. There are several film cameras including camcorders which have been posted in this forum and you may check all those.
    The XF705 and the C200 both shoot in 4K and are all recent cameras. They will continue to remain current for the next 2-3 years. C200 ofcourse needs separate lenses unlike the XF705.

If you want to remain current with your equipment then you need to upgrade every 2-3 years. However people upgrade based on their budget and their filming needs.

The XF705 is a good allround camcorder and would be fine for many wildlife situations. However you have to remember that in wildlife we get many situations and no focal length is enough. So the built-in lens may not be sufficient at times. If you buy C200 or 5D Mark IV you need to buy lot of lenses as well to cover that focal length. Since you indicate that budget is not a problem, the other challenge would be to carry several lenses with you all the time. I am sure you will get used to if you choose that route.

You may like to physically check the cameras and then decide if you feel comfortable with those as these cameras are way bigger in size than your present camera and may present you different shooting challenges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Sabyasachi Patra, your reply gave me much better understanding and to narrow down my purchase. I also want to know if you would be able guide on sound recording device as well.

As I have no knowledge on choosing or to search a device to record good audio in Wildlife any insight would be great help.

Thread Information