ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Sarus Crane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sarus Crane

Image clicked at Upper lake Bhopal. It is great to know that Two pairs of Sarus crane made Upper lake permanent home and fortunately I could managed to capture Images of both pair .One of them is here , Tilt adjusted ,f/5.6, 1/560 sec, Iso-160 with canon 400mmDO plus 1.4x tc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This image is quite nice and shares a good perspective of the bird(s). The differences in the length of the beak, size of the head and red coloration, breeding plumage are well documented. In Sarus cranes since the male is larger than the female I guess the bird on the right appears to be the male. When I used to live in UP(many moons back) we used to sight these birds fairly commonly in fields, the locals used to call it saras panchi, derived from the sanskrit word sarasa pakshi* meaning lake bird. Thanks for sharing.

*courtesy:wikipedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Good to know that you have a resident Saras pair in the lake. Keep tracking. Hoping there will be nesting and offspring soon.

We used to find lot of Saras cranes in the the wetlands and fields in UP. Unfortunately their numbers are dwindling. I remember once in the late 1990s I was traveling by Rajdhani express from Bhubaneshwar to New Delhi. Early morning we saw many Saras cranes. After a long time I again took the same train in the same route. I had wanted to relax. So booked a first AC and mostly rested or looked out from the window for the 23 hr journey. As I kept on watching through the window I increasingly became saddened by the concretisation that has taken place. Not a single Saras crane by train this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucky you could sight and photograph these beautiful birds, Mangruji. A once common bird has now become a rare sighting. I liked the composition showing the habitat of the lake. Would love to see more of the cranes . Keep sharing.

Thread Information