ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Indian Paradise Flycatcher- Black & White Plumage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Indian Paradise Flycatcher- Black & White Plumage

While in Masinagudi in December, we would often walk around the hotel where we stayed as it was more or less open shrub jungle. However, we were instructed to only follow the cattle trail as otherwise there is a chance of encountering a wild elephant or other jungle inhabitants. In these trails we often saw the chital, sambar , langurs and in a couple of occasions the Indian hare. In one such trail we walked into another resort which was in the boundary of the buffer zone. There were electric fences around the resort and the manager told us that very often the resort guests would hear or see elephants, so to safe guard them from these pachyderms the fences were required. A couple of days earlier a leopard had made its presence felt just near the fence (around 10 ft away) when it managed to secure a langur kill. When we moved closer to the fence (during the day the fence is not electrified) to see the leopard's pug marks, a white bird suddenly flew past and settled a couple of yards away. The Indian paradise flycatcher was looking for food and kept hopping on branches near the fence without once settling on the fence. We managed to make this image, the light was very harsh as it was post noon.

Nikon D7k, f/9, SS 1/250, ISO 800, ec +.3ve, 420mm (300mmf4+1.4xTC)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Murugan Anantharaman; 13-02-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Good to see the bird in its natural surroundings. Difficult to get the black on black ie black eye on black head. However the black eye is clearly visible. The white and dark creates an exposure challenge. These days the modern cameras have better dynamic range so it is a bit easier.

I haven't been to Masinagudi for some time. I have some nice experiences there trekking. I have also seen elephant calf suckling from mom while having morning tea. Same thing with gaur calf as well. However, this was before the boom in resorts. In a later visit, there was a group of dealers celebrating late into the night with loud music and I had to finally threaten them with dire consequence to make them tone down the loud music. Now that many resorts have been forced to close due to the elephant corridor I guess there would be more peace?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How I wish I could say Yes, but the reality is far from it. We were in Masinagudi on the night of 31st Dec and much to our dismay some families(hotel guests) were celebrating New Year with loud music and alcohol et al. The resort guys couldnt say anything as it was 31st Dec, and for some reason revelers believe its ok to be a nuisance on new year eve. We were rudely woken up at 11.30pm and things slowed down by around 12.45am. Then at 1.30am 2-3 policemen came demanding free rooms and alcohol. The resort owner who was incidentally in house, sent the cops away threatening them due to his political clout,supposedly. Where can one find peace in such situations???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice perch on the curved branch. I like to to read your detailed post, Murugan. It kind of gives the whole background of the photograph .

I don't understand why people come to jungles on 31st Dec, when they still want to party with loud music. Same can be done in the town/cities. The rules are bent so easily and people dont care. Its really a sad situation. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information