User Tag List

Thread: River Kingfisher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default River Kingfisher

hi,

Spotted river kingfisher on the bhitarkanika wildlife sanctuary. Share your thoughts...

Name:  _DSC4627_00001.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  207.8 KB

Camera: NIKON D7000
    Focal Length: 600 mm
    Shutter Speed: 1/1250 sec
    Aperture: f/6.3
    ISO: 400

Copyright: © Sudarsan Yennamalli M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sudarsan,
    In this wide angle scene, I would have loved a narrow aperture and deeper depth of field. On the left of the frame the crisscrossing branches appear like a nest. That area is bright as well. So our eyes automatically get drawn into that area. If the light would have been from behind your shoulders then the kingfisher would have been frontally lit and would have been brighter. So our eyes would have got drawn to the kingfisher. So basically while composing you have to see the brightness as well as luminosity of the colours while composing. Ofcourse the photographer needs to place himself so that the various elements in the frame look more pleasing.

Is this a cropped image? I think while composing this image if you could have reduced slightly from the left and included more at the bottom then the composition may have looked a bit better. Else, even wider than this. The dark background talks about the forest and adds to the image.

While critiquing we try to visualise the situation so that next time we can improve. This is a way of training our minds. Anyone who tries to visualise based on the images posted will start thinking along those lines and then later while shooting in the field it becomes easier to see the composition. So don't get worried that we are trying to find faults. We are just trying to see how to make it better. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sabyasachi,

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate your words. I want honest feedback, so I understand your point of view. This is not a cropped image. The subject needs little more light, you are correct. Next time I will surly remember this.

Thank you...

Regards
    Sudarsan Yennamalli M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the bird was quite far off since you were already at 600mm and the bird looks small in the frame. Agree with Sabyasachi's comments, bringing in more of the background would make sense and you could then have actually shown the kingfisher habitat/landscape, which is very interesting to observe. Also, while processing the image the copyright becomes a distraction if its too big, that's something worth considering before publishing the image. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Murugan Anantharaman,

Suggestion noted, will take care of the copyright next time...

Thanks

Sudarsan Yennamalli M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. I have noticed that a kingfisher always has a favorite perch, which it keeps returning to. So you get time to set your self and compose accordingly. Composing a wider composition (showing the habitat) is always difficult to photograph than a close-up. Wildlife photography is a life-time learning process . So keep photographing. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Mrudul Godbole,

Thanks for the suggestion. Will remember your suggestion next time in the field.

Sudarsan Yennamalli M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wired one, still give some sense to me ,Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information