Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default M. Krishnan the naturalist, writer and wildlife photogrpaher

Hi everyone,

My name is Asha and I am M. Krishnan's grand daughter. I am creating a website about M Krishnan and his work, hoping to inspire the younger generation and encourage them to get involved in conserving our wildlife.

I am specifically looking for a weblink to M Krishnan's Country Notebook and was led to this website. I know the Statesman brought out CN every week in 2012, as a tribute for his birth centenary. It looks like they stopped after 2012. Any help would be much appreciated.

I am linking Ram Guha's Natures Spokesman where he compiled many essays from CN.

Thanks,
    Asha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Asha,

Welcome to IndiaWilds.

I have been reading Mr.M.Krishnan's work and learning so much about natural history. His observations and his easy, lucid way of writing is truly amazing.

We are thankful to Saktipadaji, who has been regularly posting the column 'Country Notebook' from Statesman in our Natural history section, which has helped so many people (including me) to read about Mr.Krishnan's work.

Its great to have you in this forum .

Regards,
    Mrudul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrudul Godbole View Post
    Hello Asha,

Welcome to IndiaWilds.

I have been reading Mr.M.Krishnan's work and learning so much about natural history. His observations and his easy, lucid way of writing is truly amazing.

We are thankful to Saktipadaji, who has been regularly posting the column 'Country Notebook' from Statesman in our Natural history section, which has helped so many people (including me) to read about Mr.Krishnan's work.

Its great to have you in this forum .

Regards,
    Mrudul
    Hello Mrudul,

I'm so glad to hear that you have enjoyed reading M. Krishnan's writings. Here is the link to the website I have created https://www.mkrishnan.com/. It's a work in progress, so keep checking often. i am in the process of adding his writings. Any feedback is welcome.

Best wishes,
    Asha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hello Asha,
    Welcome to IndiaWilds!

Great to know that you are grand daughter of our revered teacher Shri M. Krishnan. For most of us here, reading and reading his works and then trying to experience it in the wild is often our focus. Some of us have grown up reading him through his column in Statesman. Our effort is to bring it to the notice of the younger generation so that hopefully someone can get inspiration. Unfortunately in this facebook/twitter generation, attention span and reading habit is minimal. Nevertheless we need to keep on trying in various ways.

Apart from Nature's Spokesman edited by Ramachandra Guha, some of his other works are compiled by Shanthi and Ashish Chandola in the book Of Birds and Birdsong. It has a foreword by Zafar Futehally. There is another book of the cofee table variety "Eye in the Jungle" which you can refer.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    Hello Asha,
    Welcome to IndiaWilds!

Great to know that you are grand daughter of our revered teacher Shri M. Krishnan. For most of us here, reading and reading his works and then trying to experience it in the wild is often our focus. Some of us have grown up reading him through his column in Statesman. Our effort is to bring it to the notice of the younger generation so that hopefully someone can get inspiration. Unfortunately in this facebook/twitter generation, attention span and reading habit is minimal. Nevertheless we need to keep on trying in various ways.

Apart from Nature's Spokesman edited by Ramachandra Guha, some of his other works are compiled by Shanthi and Ashish Chandola in the book Of Birds and Birdsong. It has a foreword by Zafar Futehally. There is another book of the cofee table variety "Eye in the Jungle" which you can refer.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Hello Sabyasachi,

I am delighted to know that there are still people like you who read M. Krishnan's work. With the intent of sharing his work to anyone who is interested, I have created a website about him and his work, (mkrishnan.com or mkrishnan.org). I have personal copies of the books brought out by Shanthi and Ashish and have included details of the books in the website. I am in the process of including his Country Notebook essays from the 1950s.
    Regards, Asha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Government of India , Publication Division
    brought out a book in the name and style of 'Jungle and Backyard' in June, 1961 containing select 34 nature-notes written by M.Krishnan originally published in The Sunday Statesman, The Hindu and The Illustrated Weekly of India etc. The illustrations in the book were specially remade by M. Krishnan himself. The book set a standard in nature and wildlife writing and the second edition was published in April 1967.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JUNGLE AND BACKYARD

Written and illustrated by
    M. Krishnan
    (c) National Book Trust of India, 1961
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 20-07-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Madhaviah Krishnan (1912) was awarded Jawaharlal Nehru Fellowship in 1968 to study the status of India's wild animals which suffered considerable depletion and change due to human encroachment on their habitat.
    Krishnan's fascinating report, with superb photographs appeared as a series of articles in the Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society.
    It was prepared in the form of a book by BNHS with generous subsidy from the Seth Purushothamdas Thakordas and Diwaliba Charitable Trust.
    INDIA'S WILDLIFE IN 1959 - 70

An ecological Survey of the larger Mammals of Peninsular India

M. KRISHNAN

BOMBAY NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The field study report contains the size: morphological characters, distribution, habits: behaviour of 35 major mammals observed in Peninsular India supported by 242 photographs.
    (c) Bombay Natural History Society 1975

SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 06-09-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

BOOK OF BEASTS
    An A to Z Rhyming Bestiary

-- M. Krishnan

' Anyone between the ages of eight to eighty will
    be delighted and charmed by the book '
    - Ramachandra Guha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Travel Aide February 1982
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The handbook of
    India's Wildlife

M. Krishnan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Nights and Days : My Book of India's Wildlife

- M. Krishnan

Advent Books Division
    1 July 1986
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have this copy with me, although I do have the Vedanthangal bird sanctuary booklet. I have included it in the website.

Thank you,

Asha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saktipada Panigrahi View Post
    BOOK OF BEASTS
    An A to Z Rhyming Bestiary

-- M. Krishnan

' Anyone between the ages of eight to eighty will
    be delighted and charmed by the book '
    - Ramachandra Guha
    I have included details about the book of animal verses that I got published by Duckbill. Hope you have a copy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got permission from BNHS and they gave me a scanned pdf version of India's wildlife 1959-70. I have included the entire book in the website.
    I hope readers will find it useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Saktipada,

I have copies of both editions of Jungle and Backyard given to me by my grandfather. It is unfortunately out of print but I have included it in the website, https://www.mkrishnan.com (or mkrishnan.org). I am in the process of sorting through and including his CN in the Statesman and his contributions to other newspapers, magazines and journals. The website is not complete yet but any feedback about it is welcome.
    Regards, Asha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saktipada Panigrahi View Post
    Government of India , Publication Division
    brought out a book in the name and style of 'Jungle and Backyard' in June, 1961 containing select 34 nature-notes written by M.Krishnan originally published in The Sunday Statesman, The Hindu and The Illustrated Weekly of India etc. The illustrations in the book were specially remade by M. Krishnan himself. The book set a standard in nature and wildlife writing and the second edition was published in April 1967.

JUNGLE AND BACKYARD

Written and illustrated by
    M. Krishnan
    (c) National Book Trust of India, 1961
    Dear Saktipada,

Could you please let me know if you have access to the Country Notebook published by the Statesman, Calcutta? Do you know who I can contact in the Statesman office about this column?

Thank you for your help,
    Asha

Thread Information