ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Red billed blue magpie from the Himalayan forests

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Red billed blue magpie from the Himalayan forests

The last month resulted in me coming back to India for a holiday and spending time in the mountains of Uttarakhand (UK). I have always been fascinated by the lower Shivalik ranges and the lofty Himalayas further in the state. Since 1990 I have seen the place change resulting in its slicing away from UP to an independent state. There has definitely been progress since then but there have also been disasters of humongous proportions. I always used to spend a month in the state every year but has reduced since the last few years when I moved out of India. I used to work very closely with the forest department of erstwhile UP but since it became UK I have not been involved much. So this time when I saw the hills after a gap of almost 4 years I was heartbroken. Rapid commercialization and eternal roadways work made our experience a very dusty and crowded one. So I finally left the known paths and ventured into least known areas to see the flora and fauna in its full glory. Thankfully I did find quite a few such places and Pokhri was one such place. Practically no tourism, lovely pine and deodhar valleys, great people and fantastic birding options. Its Pokhri where I spent a good amount of time and made this picture.

Nikon D7500, F/8,SS 1/100,ISO 200,EC +.3, 500mm, full frame. (I upgraded my arsenal a few months back to a Nikon D7500 and Nikon 200-500, photographed in India for the first time with my relatively new gear)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice image of the colourful bird. Nice composition. Unique streamered tail. Corbett has talked about Magpie quite often - not sure whether red billed or yellow billed. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Congratulations on your upgrade . Lovely first capture . Looking forward to more beauties from your new arsenal . Thanks for sharing .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Congratulations on your new gear. The composition looks better due to the flowing tail across much of the image. Wish there was some light on the eye. Never been to pokhri. Is that in Pauri side? If it is good for birding then please post a note in the wilderness updates so all of our members can know more about the place.
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sabyasachi- Pokhri is 50kms from Rudraprayag in Chamoli district. There is a forked road from both Rudraprayag and Karnaprayag which moves away from the Badrinath highway. Its closer from Karnaprayag (25kms) but when coming from Rishikesh or Dehradun Rudraprayag is closer. Its good for birding as its not in the main dham yatra path and is less crowded. There are only homestays and I didnt come across any hotels as such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely sighting. Nice composition. I agree, due to the Dham yatras, Uttarakhand has become a crowded place (hotels everywhere). Its good to know the interior places are still quiet and one can enjoy peace and nature. Thanks for sharing the details. Look forward to more from Pokhri.

Thread Information