ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Leaf Weevil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Leaf Weevil

Leaf Weevil is one of the most common insects found in our locality. Though its colors always attract me. Yesterday, I tried to frame using off-camera flash. It was my second day to follow that method. Previously, I tried some species to frame using this technique without any tripod or stand. Really tough. Particularly when to focus and frame a tiny species in one hand holding a camera body with 105mm macro lens and another holding the flash unit.
    I used a tripod for holding the flash unit. In my garden I discover this tiny beauty. Challange begins. Such a shy insect it is. All the gears were at least 1.5ft away from it, though, it began to play hide and seek. Sometimes it went downward the leaf. I change the position of the flash and suddenly discover it changed its position. Though, it stuck to one leaf only. Even, I touched it several times to move upward or downward- pushed it too. It relaxed with very little movements. But to the gears...!! I think it was reluctant to the camera or flash.. right?

EXIF Info:

Camera: Nikon D7000
    Lens: Nikon 105mm Macro VR
    ISO: 640
    Shutter Speed: 1/125
    Aperture: F/16
    Flash: Godox TT625
    Flash Zoom: 200mm
    Trigger: Godox X1 T N TTL
    Edited, Cropped, Handheld

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Overall the image can be a little bit brighter. It is tough to use flash on shiny insects as they reflect light. Off camera flash is better. Any species will get intimidated when a large object (relative to their size) suddenly comes near them. One needs time and patience. Slowly the insects get used to it. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree macro photography can be very challenging. Here the details look fine. Agree more light would have helped. As it is in your garden, next time you might get it in good natural light . Keep trying. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information