ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Dragonfly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Dragonfly

Found this dragonfly roadside in our village. This time I tried using flash. Actually, for last few days I tried to capture species with flash fired. Not bad experience at all. In some cases I found some beautiful colors too which I did not achive previously. Percentage of sharp images are also increased. I would like to thanks Indiawilds again and to Mr. Prajwal J Ullal to recommend flash to get sharp images. Though, as for lack of sturdy tripod, I was not able to experience that.

ID help for the species is requested. (Firstly, taken it for FULVOUS FOREST SKIMMER but noticed the lack of transparent spot at the end of the wings)

EXIF Info:

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 105mm Macro f2.8 VR
    Aperture: F/16
    ISO: 500
    Shutter Speed: 1/125s
    Godox TT685n with Diffuser
    Edited, Handheld, Full Frame, Flash

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice capture. I think the focus is not on the face, but slightly in the lower part of the image, please check. I think a horizontal framing would have also looked good here. Did you try a horizontal framing? Thanks for sharing.

Prajwal, can you please help with the Id. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrudul Godbole View Post
    Nice capture. I think the focus is not on the face, but slightly in the lower part of the image, please check. I think a horizontal framing would have also looked good here. Did you try a horizontal framing? Thanks for sharing.

Prajwal, can you please help with the Id. Thanks.
    Thank you so much Mrudul Ji for your words. Actually, the texture on the wings attracted me this time. So, I went for more details on those. I checked and found that I locked the focus point on the upper wing at the juncture of head and thorax near the wing base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Horizontal frame

Hello Mrudul ji, here is another frame of the same dragonfly I captured horizontally. In this case too the focus was locked on almost at the same point.

EXIF:
    ISO 500, 1/100s, f/16
    Edited, Handheld, Full Frame, Flash Fired with diffuser
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Arun Acharjee; 11-11-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: EXIF data

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Since you are using lower ISOs, use of flash has helped in getting the subject properly exposed. In macro photography, the flash drops off fast and the background appears as black. So the image stands out. However, after a certain point all your images will look similar with black backgrounds. That is why some people stop using flash after some point. So always experiment with and without flash and also off camera flash.

The camera will always lock focus on either the nearest part of the subject or the part which has higher contrast. In this case the wings with lot of details and micro-contrast will always get the AF locked. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information