ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Brown Shrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Brown Shrike

Framming this bird had become very interesting to me. I went for usual macro subjects that day. Suddenly, I found this bird perching nearby. By the way, just want to tell that years ago, I begin photographing species in our village, and, birds were my most favourite. So, I just couldn't hold myself framming it. With very slow movements I began to approach towards it. It noticed me but made little hesitations. Meanwhile, it flew off three to four times to find some food from ploughed field just behind and came to the same place. I went very close to it. This time it flew again for food and choose another perch some at a distance of some 18feet or so. I too change my position and set myself for that. Amazingly, and surprisingly enough, it allowed me so close that I felt my camera end was almost three to four feet from the Shrike.

We were together for almost half an hour. At last, when it flew away, I noticed some unusual bird noise from a distance of almost 150mt. I was at a distance of minimum 10ft from the bird when I noticed it shaking its head as if cautioned and flew away. I used no means of camouflage to keep myself hide from. Never forget this experience.

EXIF Info:
    Camera: Nikon D7000
    Lens: Nikon 105mm F2.8 Macro VR
    ISO: 500
    Aperture: f/7.1
    Shutter speed: 1/1600s
    Handheld, Edited, Full Frame, Natural Light
    (I was too amazed to set proper aperture value, sorry for that)

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patience helps a great deal in wildlife photography . I think the bird slowly grew comfortable and allowed you to approach it so close. The vertical composition looks nice. Since the bird has turned its head towards the left, a bit more space in that direction would have strengthened the composition further. Good details. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is a nice experience Arun! Some birds are more adapted to people in a locality. And some birds don't feel threatened if you approach slowly. Slow movement feels natural to them. In this case, I would have moved a couple of inches to the right so that there would have been a bit more separation between the bird and the branch near its head in the background. In the heat of the moment these things can easily get missed. At times when we are close and our heart is beating faster as to if the bird will fly off or not, we kind of make a sudden movement inadvertently and the bird flies off. I would like to see you approaching some other bird species with your 100mm lens. While stalking keenly observe the bird and you will start understanding its behaviour better. Keep on trying. Overall nice image.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information