ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Tragic death of an Elephant in Kerala

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Tragic death of an Elephant in Kerala

Lot of hue and cry was made in social media and normal media regarding the death of a pregant elephant in Palakkad.It was a sad incident and aroused deeper emotions within many people.Most were really concerned about the safety of wild animals and rightly so.

But some people were trying to create a narrative that the elephant was deliberately killed by someone.This is not true.The pineapple laden with crackers was (or coconut as it emerges now)kept for wild pigs which destroy poor farmers crops.Now it can be questioned whether such methods are to be used against wild pigs.Certainly not.But the farmers crops needs to be protected.Somebody has to provide them with better solution to protect their crop from destruction by wild animals.

The people of Kerala adore elephants and they love them and worship them.The narrative to paint otherwise is uncalled for.All are sad in the incident.Better methods to avoid man wild animal conflict is the need of the hour.

This pic of the elephant taken at Munnar.....

Canon 80D,Canon 100-400 IS II USM f8 1.250 ISO 400 at 271 mm

Regards

V S Sankar
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, this ghastly act of a pregnant elephant being killed by a bomb got politicised. Hindu vs other religion, Hindi vs Malaylam, North vs south...So logical discussions on this issue becomes difficult.

Nevertheless, in any situation one has to find out the core issue.

Fact is: One elephant died in a very brutal manner. Even if the elephant was not purposely fed with a bomb concealed in a pineapple, it was nevertheless killed. Law doesn't differentiate between unintentional killing vs intentional killing. It is a shocking act.

However, one needs to look at the core issue.

The thing no one is talking about is why farmers need to kill wild animals. Farmers routinely kill (poison, bomb, fire pellets) and kill wildlife. If wild animals are destroying crop, then immediate response has to be from the forest department in ascertaining the damage and giving compensation. Most of the state Governments have that policy.

The wild herbivores like wild boars, deers etc multiply in number because their natural predators like wolves, jackals, leopards etc have been eliminated from the landscape. Awareness need to be raised among people regarding this.

Force Govt. to give prompt compensation. Let the wildlife be in the fields. Tourists can then view them and local communities can make some money.

PS: Lot of saturation in the elephant image posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree with you Sabyaji.The act is condemnable and the culprits should be brought to book.The farmers fears also needs to be addressed.As Govnt compensation takes time to get in the hands, may be people don not have that much faith.Fencing (electric) the fringes of the forests may be another option,which is done in many places.

But many occations they do not work and wild animals get into the fields.Battery operated fencing is another option,But initial investment is little high.The Gvnt can intervene.When I visited Tadona I came to know that for each cattle killed by TIgers Rs.10000/- is compensated.But villagers deliberated sent cattle to be eaten by Tigers!

A viable sustainable solution is the need of the hour.

Regards

V S Sankar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a very sad incident. Wild boars were getting killed, but that didn't come to notice. Electrifying the fence is also not a good option, as there have been cases where elephants have got caught in the wires and were killed. Farmers getting compensation is probably the best solution, only the problem being they don't get it in time .

I am not sure, if the farmers can consider to not cultivate fruit bearing crops close to the forest boundaries, does avoiding it being raided by animals and so animals getting killed in the process can also be reduced. This can be one of the options, which (not sure) if the farmers can consider.

Nice to see it grazing peacefully. Agree about the saturation. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mrudul, you are right about choice of crops near forests. If one wants to, many options can be explored, but there has to be a serious wanting to save Bio-Diversity.

For example I the vicinity of forests, maybe plant only non food/edible crops. There can be many options. Without thinking hard, Sal and tendu trees which can provide leaves for reusable plates. Bamboo, lemons, maybe chillies. I am sure there are many if one researches. Honey farming (not stealing forest honey which is a terrible thing) is a great option too.

Maybe leave these as buffer agriculture zones and run village tourism. Multiple solutions can be found very easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agree with Mrudul and Paramvir .THE best solution is to encourage and subsidise the planting of non edible crops in in the vicinity of forests and buffer zones in order to minimise animal human conflict . There has to be an out cry for each incident of animal cruelty in order to high light these conflicts in order to find a viable solution so that such incidents do no occur again .After all we are encroaching on their territory and leaving very little options for their survival .Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information