ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Himalayan Woodpecker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Himalayan Woodpecker

This image is from my trip to Uttarakhand in June last year. We had stayed in a quaint little village called Makkumath far from the madding crowd of Chopta. I have fallen in love with this little village, with its winding paths, views of snow capped mountains, thick vegetation, warm people and most importantly virtually no traffic- from 5pm to 10am there wasn't a single vehicle on the road. Peaceful and tranquil place with abundance of bird species to enjoy. This woodpecker was walking on the side of the road about 25mts ahead of me unperturbed.

Nikon D7500, Nikkor 200-500 @500mm, f/7.1, SS 1/640,ISO 1600.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice to see it on the ground. I would love to click this one lying flat on my belly. Not possible all the time unless the bird cooperates. Have been wanting to visit Uttarakhand but the covid 19 has played spoilsport. Hopefully soon we can travel outside without fear. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice sighting in good light. The description of the place is making me to plan my travel soon . How did you find out about this place? Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had planned to go to Tungnath and I was keen on not staying in Chopta as in my previous visits realized its fairly crowded with 'timepass' tourists. While I was scouting for places nearby I came across Makkumath which is about 25kms from Tungnath base. It takes about an hour to reach the Tungnath trekking base by vehicle. there was only one hotel/homestay which attracted me big time as I knew it would be a place less frequented. And I was not mistaken, if I could I would buy a little house and settle there . Liked the place so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Settling there would be like a blessing. It is such a lovely place. While driving I had asked a local how to know the direction. He took a pause, thought for a moment and told me "that landscape is different. The trees and everything is different. You will be able to know when you are there." Initially I hadn't thought much about what he said. Then when we reached I realised what he had said. These people go to tend sheep. They may not know the english names but they are often great source of current knowledge of the flora and fauna. When we reached Tunganath, I was wondering how tough it would have been in the earlier days to travel here. Driving my SUV there in the narrow roads was so stressful. According to the Epic Mahabharata, this is the place where Arjuna is supposed to have meditated and got the Pashupata astra (weapon) from Lord Shiva. How someone could climb such mountains in the earlier days without roads is simply beyond my imagination. The play of clouds and mist and sun occassionally peeping up was amazing. Whoever can really buy a house and stay there is seriously blessed.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What a lovely place !! Lovely rare bird .One can only dream of such a place in these covid times .Hope the pristine quality of these places are preserved in the future .Thanks for sharing .

Rahara, Uttarpara, North 24 Parganas, West Bengal.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful image. A rare sighting on ground.

Thread Information