contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Does that qualify as a dog fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Does that qualify as a dog fight?

ID: Kite being pestered by a crow

One of the most common sight in the urban environment is the sight of a kite gliding along the skyline, and when we spot a residential kite, a one sided fight/chase between the docile raptor and the aggressive raven is a surety. One such sight is captured in this frame where the crow, rather more than one, but just one can be seen in this frame, seemed to be chasing and bothering the kite, which had been busy building its nest on the construction crane that has been set up in the neighbourhood. The kite seemed to keep its calm and just glided from one point to other on a look out for the material for its nest and, probably, for some easy prey. Its always interesting how the, comparatively, smaller bird, the crow, would keep on irritating the bird of prey, with hardly any retaliation by the kite.

EXIF:
    Canon 80D
    Canon 55-250 IS
    F/9
    Shutterspeed 1/800
    ISO 1250
    Handheld

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes the crows pester these bigger birds if they come close to their nests. Looks like the kite is totally unbothered by the crow. Both these species have have became well adjusted to the city life. Nice capture. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Drongos also chase away kites and other predatory birds. Its called mobbing behaviour. Crows often fly and attack from the top from a steep angle. I have seen them use their beaks and that is more likely to be irritating if not cause an injury. Dog fight is when you find two near equal birds engaged in attacking each other. Here the kite is simply flying away to evade the crows. Often several other near by crows can join the harassment.

Thread Information