ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Montagu's Harrier - Male

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Montagu's Harrier - Male

Nikon P900 , 1/200 , f6.3 , ISO 400. Full frame. Basic pp in Lightroom.

Clicked on 4th Jan, 2021 near Bidar outskirts.

After the dream like trip to Bidar last time, decided to visit again. This time we were gifted by well perched sightings of harriers (both Pallid and Montagu). On the way, at Niranja reservoir sighted a flock of Northern Shovelers from an extremely close range.

My father sighted a Pallid Harrier - male perched on tilled soil. After taking a few steps towards the Harrier, I realised that there was a Montagu's Harrier - male perched just a few metres behind the Pallid Harrier. The Pallid Harrier was dosing off, whereas the Montagu's Harrier was busy preening itself. Moving slowly on foot, I come into an extremely close range with the harriers and after getting good shots of the birds , I decided to leave with harriers being undisturbed.

Happy New Year everyone .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very happy New Year..!!

Seems your new year has started with some good sightings, wish that continues in the rest of the year. The low angle looks good. Nice eye contact. I think the AF point is locked on the blade of grass in front of it. It happens when there is vegetation in the foreground. Please check the AF point in Lightroom. Placing the bird slightly to the right with less space at the bottom would enhance the composition further (as per the rule of thirds). Look forward to more from the trip. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wish you all a Happy New Year. Nice sighting. I agree about the autofocus locking on slightly ahead of the bird. In the field it becomes difficult because you are always apprehensive of the bird flying off and hence may not notice the AF. Also, in smaller cameras, difficult to notice. So while stalking always keep on thinking if there is vegetation blocking the subject and if the AF will lock on. Your mind will soon get programmed to approach and click where AF point will not lock on to vegetation. Also remember that the head of the bird is in shadow. The grass is well illuminated. So the AF will lock on to the grass. Visualise and you will be good next time.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Mrudul ma'am and Sabyasachi sir for viewing and providing your valuable suggestions. Next time, I will remember to stay clear of the vegetation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good eye contact and nice image

Thread Information