User Tag List

Thread: The nature’s darth Maul- Sith Lord, I mean the S#it lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default The nature’s darth Maul- Sith Lord, I mean the S#it lord

ID: Commander butterfly caterpillar

One of the devilish beauties of nature, these have a very close resemblance to the Star Wars’ Sith Lord’s appearance, especially that reddish protrusions and the spikes on the back of its head. But what’s so special of this caterpillar? Well they are the master of camouflage, blending well in to the dried up and chomped up leaves of its host plants. But what makes that camouflage work superbly well, on the green leaves, are the excreta that this caterpillar leaves behind, a ton of them, when its busy feasting on the leaves for its growth, and these excreta, along with the silk produced by it, exactly resembles the overall shape of the caterpillar, confusing an untrained eye or the unsuspecting predator to be the caterpillar itself, probably a way to wade off getting noticed easily. A masterful use of excreta to keep itself away from getting noticed on first sight, usually the whole host plant will be filled with such decoys, and the caterpillar itself shapes itself to awkward shape, making it even more difficult to identify, while it senses any form of motion around it.

EXIF:
    Canon 80D
    Canon 100mm macro + Raynox
    F/13
    Shutterspeed 1/160
    ISO640
    Handheld, External flash fired

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is very interesting. Difficult to notice for predators. Our natural world is full of mysteries. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nature has given every species such unique ways to protect itself, its amazing. Lovely details. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

Thread Information